Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Hey all, my aunt gave my mom her iPhone 5 [locked to AT&T] and my mom wants to use it WITHOUT a data plan. Can we just cut her BlackBerry Curve [on AT&T without a data plan] regular SIM card and make it fit into the iPhone 5, and use it to just make calls, SMS and WIFI? All of this without contacting AT&T?

Thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No.
Even if you dont contact AT&T and just cut the sim to nano size their system will detect it and will add the mandatory iphone data plan automaticly on the iphone 5 line.
Only way to use it without a data plan is if you're on prepaid AT&T account or any other prepaid GSM carriers.
On post paid monthly AT&T accounts they will add it automaticly and send you a text that its been included to your account.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
No.
Even if you dont contact AT&T and just cut the sim to nano size their system will detect it and will add the mandatory iphone data plan automaticly on the iphone 5 line.

Thank you for your response, however I think her line is set to block data no matter what. Maybe that's why the iPhone 5 doesn't detect the cut SIM?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It doesnt make a difference blocked data on the line or not.
Sooner or later their system will detect it and you will get the text.
Maybe not the same day but a few days later or maybe weeks.
You will find out soon.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
It doesnt make a difference blocked data on the line or not.
Sooner or later their system will detect it and you will get the text.
Maybe not the same day but a few days later or maybe weeks.
You will find out soon.

Thanks Applejuiced.

If any others agree or disagree with Applejuiced, please reply.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Welcome bro.
I wish it wasnt like that and I dont like how AT&T and most US carriers force you to pay for a service that you might not want or need at all.

Yeah, word.

So my cousin uses the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile without data, is it because T-Mobile doesn't require a data plan when using iPhones on their carrier?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I can't speak to T-Mobile's policies but I've been with BellSouth > Cingular > AT&T since they went into the cellphone business and it's a fact that AT&T will definitely find you out and bill you. You'd be better off just signing up for the minimum data plan that you think you'd use rather than letting them choose for you and then having to change it if you want a different plan.

With AT&T, smartphone = required data plan. If you play, you pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.