Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 2, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Dany M
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dany M Send a message via MSN to Dany M Send a message via Yahoo to Dany M
hdmi to minidisplayport/thunderbolt that does sound??

I recently bought an Air and the previous cable I used for my external monitor is no longer working for the Air. Its a minidisplayport to hdmi cable and is able to output sound to my monitor. It won't for the Air and I bought a new cable from best buy thinking it was an old cable but the rocketfish cable i got doesn't output sound either.

Can anyone help or explain this?
Dany M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:22 PM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Assuming it's a newer Air (Late 2010 or newer model) it should work. Make sure you're choosing the HDMI device as your audio destination - hold Option key & click the Volume icon on the top menu bar to choose audio output.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Dany M
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dany M Send a message via MSN to Dany M Send a message via Yahoo to Dany M
It doesn't and going into system preferences doesn't giev me an option for it whatsoever.
Dany M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Both my 2011 and 2013 MBA's work fine with a Rocketfish HDMI cable I got at Best Buy. Have tried it with two different TV sets. Have you tried using a different TV?
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:49 AM   #5
RawBert
macrumors 68000

What kind of display is it? Does it have built in speakers or are you passing the sound to something else?

You said the cable is no longer working. Did it work before on the same setup?

Try restarting your MBA with the cable plugged in at both ends.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air