Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Safari was (....kinda still is) the browser I like the best. Mainly b/c of the top pages, sharing, and tab view. However, it just crashes way too much. All the time now, actually. I've tried resetting, emptying cache, etc etc. Nothing seems to help, there is always a high chance that when I click a link the whole application just disappears without a crash report or anything, just gone. Finally got too sick of it after trying a link 5(!) times and it kept crashing, so I'm moving to Chrome.

Does anyone know how to make Chrome more Safari-like? In particular I would like the sharing features (such as e-mail this page), have it open up to something like Top Pages, and be able to go into Safari's tab view by "shrinking" the page.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you tried deleting the com.apple.safari.plist in your Preference folder?

Also, you should make a new User Account in User and Groups in System Preferences and then log into that account, is it still crashing there?
If so there are problems in the OS, reinstalling Safari could make a difference.
If it's gone the problem is in your normal User Account.

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
i think there are some google extension to make Chrome more Safari-like, but it will not help much, you just need more familiar with your new browser,
or maybe you can tried what @justperry say.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You'll want to make sure to sign into Chrome to sync your settings (just like Safari does with iCloud). I like the option to encrypt locally with a password.

Chrome's "New Tab" page is kind of neat. Not quite the Top Pages of Safari, but you can configure it to be similar. I find the New Tab page to be more useful than the Safari Top Pages.

There are a couple "share" extensions for Chrome. I don't use that feature in Safari, but it looks like you should be able to find something.

For me, Chrome and Safari are about the same, but I love the built in flash (I have click to flash) in Chrome, and also HTTPS everywhere extension (not available in Safari).

Btw. Safari still wins out with this whole retina thing. "most" pages still work a bit better in Safari (google+ being the big exception, Chrome works so much better). Chrome caught up though, and it is a pretty decent experience.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Test Safari in a new Use and see if you see the same behavior. I never crash in Safari.

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Open Safari and test.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files (OS X and/or Safari)
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been noticing the same issue lately, now that you mention it. I can't pin it down to any specific behavior just yet, but I've been experiencing many of these "silent" crashes where Safari just disappears--very iOS-like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.