Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
the8thark
macrumors 68030

MS says someone stole it's iPads

I found a rather funny newspaper article online from the US. But in reality it's a sad story as no one should steal.

http://www.macgasm.net/2013/01/05/th...es-with-ipads/

Basically someone broken into the Mountain View MS research campus and stole nothing MS branded or that MS was working on. Only as many iPads as they could find.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
malman89
macrumors 65816

First of all, it's "its" -- I mean it's right there in the headline!

And secondly, stop trolling. As someone on the story commented, "Isn't Mountain View the home of the Microsoft Mac BU? There probably wasn't anything in there but Apple stuff."

Even if that isn't true, this is a waste of a post.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Why post this? A thief is going to steal whatever is easily accessible. Microsoft isn't going to do something stupid like leave prototypes lying around or anything of real value (Relative to the owners value)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Microsoft isn't going to do something stupid like leave prototypes lying around or anything of real value (Relative to the owners value)
People thought that about a certain competitor to Microsoft... Remember what happened a few years ago at a bar, involving gizmodo?
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:15 AM   #5
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Cool story. But seriously OP, what would be the point in an average thief stealing a product that was in alpha or beta builds?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502

Even thieves don't like Microsoft products
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

MS prototype... Yawn!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:55 PM   #8
snberk103
macrumors 603

Did no one notice the "iPad 4" reference... which was then quickly passed off as a typo? Someone wanted the iPad prerelease iPad 4, and took the others to make it look like a regular break in. Note also that there were no signs of forceable entry... so a professional job. Are there no conspiracists here?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Did no one notice the "iPad 4" reference... which was then quickly passed off as a typo? Someone wanted the iPad prerelease iPad 4, and took the others to make it look like a regular break in. Note also that there were no signs of forceable entry... so a professional job. Are there no conspiracists here?
Noticed that and was gonna say something but then saw you mentioned it already.

It's obvious the writers weren't aware Apple release the iPad 4 two months ago.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:44 AM   #10
bembol
macrumors 6502a

The point is the thieves went out of their way.

You break in and you have 2 minutes to take as much as you can! It's like breaking into Tiffany's and only taking Bracelets.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:33 AM   #11
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post

You break in and you have 2 minutes to take as much as you can! It's like breaking into Tiffany's and only taking Bracelets.
You say this based on what information? What if the iPad were the only thing left out? As some have pointed out, Mountain View is supposedly where they do their Apple-related stuff, maybe there was only Apple gear there to take.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
You say this based on what information? What if the iPad were the only thing left out? As some have pointed out, Mountain View is supposedly where they do their Apple-related stuff, maybe there was only Apple gear there to take.
The article states that there was no forced entry, I believe. So we don't know if they had 2 minutes between security guard patrols - or 2 days to pick and choose what they wanted.

My personal opinion is that it was a temporary worker on a cleaning crew. Crime of opportunity. The iPads were available and easily hidden.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Sydde
macrumors 68000

CompHumor: iPads stolen from MS site

Thieves broke into a Microsoft building in California over the holidays. Workers discovered they had stolen 5 iPads worth $3000 total, but luckily all the MS gadgets were still accounted for.

Guardian story

(I think it must have been an inside job, some of the MS people wanted the good stuff for themselves.)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

obviously and inside job. Probably looking for the MS apps they were developing. Still humorous none the less
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why post this? A thief is going to steal whatever is easily accessible. Microsoft isn't going to do something stupid like leave prototypes lying around or anything of real value (Relative to the owners value)
But surely there were some new Surface tablets lying around?

Last edited by Lancer; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:26 PM   #16
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
But surely there were some new Surface tablets lying around?
The office is question was one that is dedicated to testing iPad software, there would be no need to have excess hardware sitting around.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The office is question was one that is dedicated to testing iPad software, there would be no need to have excess hardware sitting around.
Okay, but still a fun story. I'm amazed the wider press hasn't got hold of it yet, or the late night talk shows.
Lancer is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion