Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hi Guys --

I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest a streaming app for my needs. I got this app called FileBrowser for my iPad to stream video files from my Time Capsule to my iPad. However, it is unable to stream certain file types (like AVI, XVID, etc.). In this case, it gives you an option that says "stream to another app" (refer to the pic attached). It basically copies the URL and says that I can paste the URL into "any app that can stream from the internet."

My question is: what app should I paste this URL into? I tried downloading VLCstreamer but I couldn't find any option to paste URLs into it. This article (http://www.cultofmac.com/180756/filebrowser-streams-nas-movies-to-any-app-on-your-ipad/) suggests that I should use CineXPlayer for this purpose - but the problem is that CineXPlayer will copy the file to the iPad rather than streaming it directly. Is CineXPlayer really the best app for my needs? Isn't there an app that can stream directly without having to copy the file beforehand?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can suggest an app that would meet my needs. Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.21.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.21.22 PM.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
FileExplorer is similar to FileBrowser but can stream AVI,WMV,FLV vids. Nice app.

Try also Oplayer, BuzzPlayer

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.