Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:01 AM   #1
cvanaxel
macrumors newbie

New Mac mini

What kinda firewire chipset is on the new mac mini.
I want to buy one but i need to know what kinda firewire chipset is on it.

Can someone please tell me.

You can find the firewire chipset by rebooting your mac mini and press cmd + s (command + s).
cvanaxel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2
magebarf
macrumors member

First off, sorry for not being able to answer your question, my Mini is still in shipping...

But, may I make a guess about this relating to sound cards and compatibility?

If so, I just thought I'd mention that a lot of the "compatible with chip <x>" recommendations manufacturers put out is usually about running the audio interfaces in Windows.

There still are incompatibilities with certain sound cards and Mac when run with specific firewire chipsets, however the issues are not so easy that one can point to the chip alone but it is usually a combination of the firewire driver stack together with the chip. Thus, a chip causing issues for a audio interface under Windows might (and generally do) work better when combined with OS X instead.

Edit: Also worth thinking off is that the option to use the Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is available...
magebarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
magebarf
macrumors member

Managed to find some hardware digging for you...

iFixIt's tear down shows it to be a LSI L-FW643E-2, as visible here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+M...ardown/11262/2

Also found a MacRumors thread where the Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter was taken apart and it was found out that it also uses the LSI L-FW643E-2:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1428004

As linked from the other thread, here's the data sheet for the LSI chip:
http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/..._FW643E_fn.pdf
magebarf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4
cvanaxel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magebarf View Post
First off, sorry for not being able to answer your question, my Mini is still in shipping...

But, may I make a guess about this relating to sound cards and compatibility?

If so, I just thought I'd mention that a lot of the "compatible with chip <x>" recommendations manufacturers put out is usually about running the audio interfaces in Windows.

There still are incompatibilities with certain sound cards and Mac when run with specific firewire chipsets, however the issues are not so easy that one can point to the chip alone but it is usually a combination of the firewire driver stack together with the chip. Thus, a chip causing issues for a audio interface under Windows might (and generally do) work better when combined with OS X instead.

Edit: Also worth thinking off is that the option to use the Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is available...
Yeah I got a Digi002 rack studio soundcard. Manufacture is Avid.
It works on a texas Instrument chipset and is only FW400 and the new mac mini is FW800.
cvanaxel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanaxel View Post
It works on a texas Instrument chipset and is only FW400 and the new mac mini is FW800.
Any FW400 device should run on an FW800 socket. It will just run at half-speed (400).
I have an Edirol FA-66 which works fine (as FW400) on my 2012 mini in a chain with a hard drive running FW800.

I would certainly try it out on the mini before assuming that it's not going to work because there's a different chipset and speed.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6
philipma1957
macrumors 603

here are adapter cables

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/1394B96012/

I think you need this one

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/1394B94036/

buy a cable and try it at the apple store. tell the genius you want a mini and you are not sure your gear will work.
philipma1957 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini