Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1
jackvega
macrumors newbie

Scuffs/Imperfections iMac 27" Late 2012

Hello everybody yesterday I got my new imac 27" after 5 weeks of waiting. There is this imperfection on the stand. It's annoying I know..but would you ask for a replacement? The problem is that I can no longer stay without a computer cause I sold my old one and I bought this for work at home.

Last edited by jackvega; Jan 6, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
jackvega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Were it me, I wouldn't get too concerned about a scuff on the stand. The replacement very well may have backlight bleed or some other functional issue.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3
MathijsF
macrumors member

I think it's fully in your right to demand a new one. I've read about a few people getting replacements and keeping the "damaged" iMac until they got the replacement in. Maybe that is something you can do aswell?

Goodluck with it!
MathijsF is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

$2-3k computer, get it replaced unless you're lazy. if you get another bad model which is unlikely, then get that replaced.

If you were to buy a new car I'm sure you wouldn't settle for any scuffs. I really don't see how this is any different. Plus that looks terrible to me, no offense.. greatly offends my sense of OCD and a perfect new machine.
Pngwyn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:19 AM   #5
psirix
macrumors member

I wonder I maybe you took it to your local apple store if they could just replace the stand? Just a thought of looking into instead of waiting several weeks for an entire new machine.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
azentropy
macrumors 65816

That isn't something that would bother me. I look at the stand on my 21.5" and there really isn't a time where there isn't some sort of shadow cast on it anyway. But if it bothers you then go ahead and get it replaced.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
srcstc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
$2-3k computer, get it replaced unless you're lazy. if you get another bad model which is unlikely, then get that replaced.

If you were to buy a new car I'm sure you wouldn't settle for any scuffs. I really don't see how this is any different. Plus that looks terrible to me, no offense.. greatly offends my sense of OCD and a perfect new machine.
+1

Apple's quality control has really gone down the tubes lately. My iphone5 had scuffs, the replacement had a scuff, my last ipad had slight imperfections. It's as though nobody cares anymore.

Get it replaced and insist that they let you keep that one till the replacement comes.
srcstc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:48 AM   #8
jackvega
macrumors newbie

I'll try to call apple tomorrow.. thanks
jackvega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by psirix View Post
I wonder I maybe you took it to your local apple store if they could just replace the stand? Just a thought of looking into instead of waiting several weeks for an entire new machine.
Can't without ripping the whole system apart.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:04 AM   #10
jackvega
macrumors newbie

ok solved. they will send me a replacement and i can keep this til the new comes..
jackvega is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:15 AM   #11
mrpatto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvega View Post
ok solved. they will send me a replacement and i can keep this til the new comes..
Is this why I'm still waiting, because everyone is getting a replacement.
mrpatto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:19 AM   #12
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Hope the replacement works as good as the one you are sending back for an imperfection in an imperfect metal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
That isn't something that would bother me. I look at the stand on my 21.5" and there really isn't a time where there isn't some sort of shadow cast on it anyway. But if it bothers you then go ahead and get it replaced.
I cannot even see my stand, I mean I USE my iMac on my desk where I work, there are papers here and there and the base is usually covered with something anyway.

I guess some people spend money on an iMac and build a shrine around it, you know like it's a Picasso or something!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:51 AM   #13
jackvega
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Hope the replacement works as good as the one you are sending back for an imperfection in an imperfect metal.

----------

I cannot even see my stand, I mean I USE my iMac on my desk where I work, there are papers here and there and the base is usually covered with something anyway.

I guess some people spend money on an iMac and build a shrine around it, you know like it's a Picasso or something!
I do not understand your comment, but yeah... for 3k $ it has to be good with no imperfections. What if I want to sell it second hand next year with a scuff like this? man...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:59 AM   #14
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
I do not understand your comment, but yeah... for 3k $ it has to be good with no imperfections. What if I want to sell it second hand next year with a scuff like this? man...
Sadly in this case there is no downvote button anymore, I really don't understand these comments either.

Good you can have yours until the new one gets delivered, you should get what you paid for, a 100% perfect Mac.
justperry is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:32 AM   #15
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well the first response ( Post #2 ) pretty much explains my comment .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
The replacement very well may have backlight bleed or some other functional issue.
You may get one that LOOKS like it has no imperfections, yet it may have some operational issue.

Trust me when someone goes to buy it second hand a year from now, functionality will be the price driving factor.

Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:40 AM   #16
jackvega
macrumors newbie

It will mean that I will ask for a replacement till I get a good one.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Chuckstones
macrumors regular

I was cleaning my screen for the 1st time this morning. What a nightmare btw!!
Found a tiny 1/2 " scratch on left of screen. Also a small scuff on the back. (Which I'm not bothered about as I will never see it)
But as this is my 2nd replacement I think I can quite happily live with it as the screen is perfect. No yellowing or bleed etc!!

Nothing is perfect. And if you look hard enough, every single imac will have an imperfection from one degree or another!!
Chuckstones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #18
relsah
macrumors newbie

you might to give applecare a call.

when i got mine, i thought it had a 2mm hairline scratch at the base of the stand. it did not bother me because i was happy with the machine's performance. i still called applecare though to let them know about it.

i spoke to the rep for 2 minutes and then before we hang up, i was asked if there was anything else i need a help with. i told him that i wish i ordered a trackpad instead of a mouse, and i wish that it has a superdrive. next thing i know, the rep said that a trackpad and a superdrive was on its way. i received both items the next day. wow! talk about customer service.

last sunday, as i was cleaning the imac, i realized that it wasn't really a scratch but just a smudge. it came off easily with a damp towel.

end of story. happy camper here
relsah is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #19
Chuckstones
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by relsah View Post

when i got mine, i thought it had a 2mm hairline scratch at the base of the stand. it did not bother me because i was happy with the machine's performance. i still called applecare though to let them know about it.

i spoke to the rep for 2 minutes and then before we hang up, i was asked if there was anything else i need a help with. i told him that i wish i ordered a trackpad instead of a mouse, and i wish that it has a superdrive. next thing i know, the rep said that a trackpad and a superdrive was on its way. i received both items the next day. wow! talk about customer service.

last sunday, as i was cleaning the imac, i realized that it wasn't really a scratch but just a smudge. it came off easily with a damp towel.

end of story. happy camper here
I think It might be pushing my luck as it is my 2nd replacement!!

I just bought a SuperDrive. But I could do with an airport express!
Chuckstones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:43 AM   #20
kaelell
macrumors 6502

I would agree with some of the posts, nothing is perfect. Even a 20k car , by the time it gets to you, you will find something that is not perfect.
My new Imac also had a very small chip on the back. The question I would ask yourself is if it bothers you. In my case it was on the back, so I could live with. But if its something you will see and notice everyday it might be more of an issue for you. I would find returning it so much of a hassle, even though you can keep it until the new one arrives, it means setting it all up again or not being able to set the one you have up now because it would be a waste of time.

You could instead try and pursue some sort of compensation, a refund or gift vouchers or something. In my case there were a number of issues with the order that I had already complained about and spoke to Apple, but when it finally did arrive the chip on the back was just another thing to add to the list, I didnt want a replacement but they did give me a significant amount of refund.
I can't say how much of that was for the chip as they had already committed to giving me something , before I had even received the mac.
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 PM   #21
gingaman
macrumors member

Quote:
Hello everybody yesterday I got my new imac 27" after 5 weeks of waiting. There is this imperfection on the stand. It's annoying I know..but would you ask for a replacement? The problem is that I can no longer stay without a computer cause I sold my old one and I bought this for work at home.

Mine has exactly the same issue , and they're replacing it too (so I'll have 2x imac's for a while lol)
gingaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #22
Pie Chips Salad
macrumors member

Keep it! Nothing is perfect be happy that you have no major issues. Maybe apple can give u a gift card for the scuff?
Pie Chips Salad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:11 AM   #23
trustever
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by relsah View Post

Where are you guys based that you all receive extra goodies for free... I have never been offered anything...
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac