Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noob1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I was updating my girlfriend's computer (I believe it is a late 2009 MB, white. Lion OSX), and on the restart of the update, it has been stuck at the loading screen. I believe the screen is gray, and the spinning wheel does appear. It is basically stuck on this screen.

I followed Apple support page's recomendations, but to no avail.

I have tried Recovery HD, disk utility, PRAM reset. I am trying to avoid reformatting the computer at all costs.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love it. I really don't want to return a bricked computer back to her. Thanks so much.

EDIT: If there's a way to somehow recover files like her important photos and docs, then that would be great. I do have a couple external HDs.

Last edited:

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Unfortunately I'm not able to help - just wanted to join in on the question as I have the same problem. In my case it happens once in a while and I am able to manually reboot using the power button - but it's a bit frustrating and worrying to be honest. Guess if anyone has any ideas on the cause of this.
PS. I've done ML reinstall recently and it didn't make it go away. Today I've deleted "BatteryTime" app from loading and startup, leaving only Time Capsule to load - time will tell if it helps.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Boot from the Lion DVD, format an external and install Lion on it. Boot from the external and copy what if anything from the internal drive.

Sounds like an HDD fail. Remember always backup your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.