Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I searched through the forums and I have general idea of what I'm interested in but wanted to get some additional input from my MacRumor experts.

So here are my needs:

Protection. I have a 16 month old boy. I don't let him near the iPad but I can imagine in a year or so he may be ready for some supervised use. I wouldn't trust him with a ten foot pole. He has already laid waste to wife's iPhone 4 (thank goodness for Apple Care+)

Flat back. I'll explain. I have on order a Slope Dekke Stand (kickstarter project). This only works with a flat surface. The material shouldn't matter.

Function. I have Logitech K760 solar keyboard already. Something to allow the case to hold the keyboard in bed would a be great.

I'm gonna keep looking on this forum, iLounge, and dig through Amazon reviews some more but the choices are overwhelming. :confused:

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I wish I could help, because I agree that the choices are so many that it's really hard to make a decision! I wonder if you would want to go with an Otterbox or similar for the protection factor?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I recommend the otterbox defender, which can be had for 50$ on Amazon. It has a flat back, and includes a protector shell that snaps on the front or back and doubles as a multi-angle stand. You probably won't use the shell when you get your kick starter accessory, but it's nice to have.

The otterbox does add some weight, but it is mostly offset by the fact that it adds a raised edge around the front for easier gripping. The build quality is excellent.

Note: the case comes ipwith a built in screen protector which is great if young children may handle. Since its adhered to the case, it acts as a spill barrier. However, I removed the protector from my case in favor of the one I had attached to the ipad already.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Check out Metagamers reviews on youtube. He has some nice stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/metagamers

Like you said its a lot. I don't have a case, just a sleeve. What I generally go with is a brand that I trust. Some you can find at discount store, like Incase, Belkin, etc. I like Timbuk2 and Incase stuff. I don't have a case but the Timbuk2 sleeve and the Apple cover thing.

You have a lot of options. Sleeve with back cover. I make kids wash their hands before using my iPad. lol Also they cannot eat or drink around it. If I see them doing that, their privileges are revoked.

Arman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Thanks for the information guys. I'm holding for now until the Slope stand comes in. For now I bought the Kidz case on monoprice to guard agains the little one. It's a little silly looking but it gets the job done and has a built in case. Once the stand comes in I think I will try and pickup the Otterbox Defender and see if works with the stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.