Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
iPhone 5 16gb>IPhone 5s/6 32gb?

I have a launch day iPhone 5, and 16 gb really isn't enough. Do you think I should upgrade to the next gen for the space? Or should I delete all my podcasts? My mom is eligable for an upgrade and won't use it. Any opinions? Thanks!
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
albertsw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Why dont you just delete your old stuff?
albertsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
I have a launch day iPhone 5, and 16 gb really isn't enough. Do you think I should upgrade to the next gen for the space? Or should I delete all my podcasts? My mom is eligable for an upgrade and won't use it. Any opinions? Thanks!
Do you really need all your podcasts all the time on your phone wherever you go?

If yes, steal your mothers upgrade.
If no, don't.

Only you can decide.
__________________
iPhone 5 \ iPad Air \ Mac mini i5/Radeon
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
aPple nErd
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Red face

Ok. I have a 32gb iPad and Tht is pretty much full. I have 5gb of space left on my iPhone 5, but I am constantly adding music, pics, and videos to it. As well as apps. Real racing 2 alone takes up 1gb and I have a lot more apps purchased that aren't even in there...
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
I have a launch day iPhone 5, and 16 gb really isn't enough. Do you think I should upgrade to the next gen for the space? Or should I delete all my podcasts? My mom is eligable for an upgrade and won't use it. Any opinions? Thanks!
I'd say upgrade when the newest model comes out. 16GB requires to much storage management IMO.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #6
aPple nErd
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I'd say upgrade when the newest model comes out. 16GB requires to much storage management IMO.
Ya like I said, my iPad is 32 gb and its retina but still, I like to beagle to download all my purchases... And not have to muddle through...
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Coffee Minutes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
My previous iPhone had 16GB and seemed to cover me well with iOS5, but not completely. When it came time to purchase the iPhone 5 w/iOS6, I wasn't absolutely sure the 16GB would be enough and so went with the 32GB and am happy with it. Especially since I've already used up more than half of that capacity and plan to use more.

With the newer iPhones, the hardware is much more capable and can accommodate more software code and faster processing. The more robust iOS6+ will consume more memory, as will the apps (software) that run on it. Not to mention the increasing size of media app storage being used, such as videos, songs, photos, etc. With an enhanced hi-res camera and video built-in, users will take more high resolution photos and videos, thus eating up even more memory than a 3GS or 4 platform.


Here's what useable memory storage you're left with after iOS6 installed on the i5:

13.70 GB of space on the 16 GB model (LOSS of 2.3GB)
28.00 GB of space on the 32 GB model (LOSS of 4.0GB)
57.20 GB of space on the 64 GB model (LOSS of 6.8GB)

Depending on how light or heavy you use your phone, you may want to look at the 32GB instead of the base 16GB model. As a rule-of-thumb, you never want to max out memory. It's bad and can cause issues, like sluggishness and failure. Always leave a buffer. Having a slightly larger memory will ensure you don't hit limits too quick. If you really cant afford to upgrade beyond the base 16GB, you will need to do more maintenance on your iPhone to keep memory in check. This inevitably means moving files around - i.e., deleting them to make room for new ones.

Eventually the low-end 16GB will soon be replaced by a 32GB base and the far end will be bumped up as well.
__________________
2012 13" MBA 1.8GHz i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD
iPhone 5 32GB
Coffee Minutes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
aPple nErd
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Minutes View Post
My previous iPhone had 16GB and seemed to cover me well with iOS5, but not completely. When it came time to purchase the iPhone 5 w/iOS6, I wasn't absolutely sure the 16GB would be enough and so went with the 32GB and am happy with it. Especially since I've already used up more than half of that capacity and plan to use more.

With the newer iPhones, the hardware is much more capable and can accommodate more software code and faster processing. The more robust iOS6+ will consume more memory, as will the apps (software) that run on it. Not to mention the increasing size of media app storage being used, such as videos, songs, photos, etc. With an enhanced hi-res camera and video built-in, users will take more high resolution photos and videos, thus eating up even more memory than a 3GS or 4 platform.


Here's what useable memory storage you're left with after iOS6 installed on the i5:

13.70 GB of space on the 16 GB model (LOSS of 2.3GB)
28.00 GB of space on the 32 GB model (LOSS of 4.0GB)
57.20 GB of space on the 64 GB model (LOSS of 6.8GB)

Depending on how light or heavy you use your phone, you may want to look at the 32GB instead of the base 16GB model. As a rule-of-thumb, you never want to max out memory. It's bad and can cause issues, like sluggishness and failure. Always leave a buffer. Having a slightly larger memory will ensure you don't hit limits too quick. If you really cant afford to upgrade beyond the base 16GB, you will need to do more maintenance on your iPhone to keep memory in check. This inevitably means moving files around - i.e., deleting them to make room for new ones.

Eventually the low-end 16GB will soon be replaced by a 32GB base and the far end will be bumped up as well.
And considering it most likely will be launched with IOS 7, ya, I see where u r going...
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Ok. I have a 32gb iPad and Tht is pretty much full. I have 5gb of space left on my iPhone 5, but I am constantly adding music, pics, and videos to it. As well as apps. Real racing 2 alone takes up 1gb and I have a lot more apps purchased that aren't even in there...
Either you need more space, or you don't need more space. Only you can decide whether or not you need it (of course you don't really need it, but we can't tell you either way).

If you need more space, get the upgrade. If you don't need more space, don't get the upgrade.

There isn't a question anywhere here
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
I don't even get why you have to ask us to decide whether or not you need a phone with more space. Do we really have to make that decision for you?
__________________
White iPhone 5; 2013 13" MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART
Minhimalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
restoring 32GB iphone 4 to 16GB iphone 4S and keeping text messages.. is it possible? aoaaron iPhone 3 Aug 13, 2012 12:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC