Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Aside from portability, are there any pluses to buying the rMBP?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Kinda.

More relevant question would be "what made you choose iMac over Mac Pro/Mac Mini"

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Who said people had to chose one over the other?
Both are targeting different user groups and different needs...

I know, but am interested in getting the rMBP over iMac.
but money wise, the iMac is a better value.

----------

Are there any regrets from current rMBP owners, not getting the new iMac?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

----------

I'm waiting for my rMBP but was never even in the market for an iMac. If I was opting for a desktop i'd be waiting for a new Mac Pro or would have gotten a quadcore mac mini. Cheap and fast

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Aside from portability, are there any pluses to buying the rMBP?

rMBP because it's the most powerful laptop bar none.
iMac kind of sucks cause Windows PC's are way superior in terms of sheer value and awesome sweet barbeque chilli sauce gaming.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
1. You can't really compare the iMac to the rMBP. If specs were more important to you, it's almost always more economically efficient to buy a desktop over a laptop.

2. rMBPs tend (or so I've heard) to have a lot of problems that can and do go wrong with them.

3. rMBPs are not user upgradeable (you have to buy Apple's extremely expensive hardware upgrades then and there).

4. rMBPs are a PITA to fix. Everything is soldered in, so if anything breaks, you have to ship it in to Apple (or at least go to a certified AppleCare store).

5. Other than the screen, there aren't any real benefits to the rMBP. Officially, they can hold up to 16GB RAM. But unofficially, so can the other MBPs.

6. The rMBP has no optical drive. I tend to use CDs frequently.

7. Obviously the price of the rMBP is much more expensive than other Apple laptops.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010

----------

I sold my 2010 27" iMac to purchase a new 27" iMac. I sold it right after the announcement of the new iMacs. I didn't anticipate the long waiting period so i bought a 15" rMPB to hold me over until my purchase of the 27" iMac. (I bought the rMBP in November and have until tomorrow to return, due to the holiday sales return policy) In the meantime I have played around with the 21" iMac at the Apple Store. I can say that I love my 15" rMBP! The retina is beautiful! I do recommend the 16GB of RAM. The lose of screen real estate has not been a problem for me. I love everything about my 15" rMBP...no regrets

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Because I always build my own desktop PCs, that rules the iMac out for me. Haven't got the same skills for notebooks, and as I've hated using Windows notebooks and want discreet graphics I'll be getting a rMBP soon.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
1. You can't really compare the iMac to the rMBP. If specs were more important to you, it's almost always more economically efficient to buy a desktop over a laptop.

Except when the 21.5" iMac has specs that are almost identical or inferior to the 15" rMBP. 27" iMac is the only iMac this generation that has any real specs advantage, but only the top-end config does. It seems crazy, but the 15" rMBP, even the base model, has specs that are almost comparable to a base 27" iMac. Only lacking a little bit in CPU performance.

2. rMBPs tend (or so I've heard) to have a lot of problems that can and do go wrong with them.

This I can agree with. Had a slew of problems with my rMBP.

3. rMBPs are not user upgradeable (you have to buy Apple's extremely expensive hardware upgrades then and there).

4. rMBPs are a PITA to fix. Everything is soldered in, so if anything breaks, you have to ship it in to Apple (or at least go to a certified AppleCare store).

It's the same story with the 2012 iMac, actually. There's not much you can upgrade easily on the iMac. In fact, RAM is probably the only thing that you can update on the iMac without having to pry the screen off.

5. Other than the screen, there aren't any real benefits to the rMBP. Officially, they can hold up to 16GB RAM. But unofficially, so can the other MBPs.

The rMBP actually holds more benefits elsewhere with weight, overall device volume, cooling system, speaker system (more than 2 speakers), more Thunderbolt ports, and port placement (USB slots on either side and not just one side) compared to other MBP.

6. The rMBP has no optical drive. I tend to use CDs frequently.

The redesigned 2012 iMac doesn't have any optical drive, either. In fact, I think the classic unibody MBP is the only Mac in 2012 that has optical drives. Looks like those are going fast.

7. Obviously the price of the rMBP is much more expensive than other Apple laptops.

This is actually not true. Configure a 15" MBP to the same specifications as an rMBP, and it turns out the rMBP is cheaper.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I was actually only comparing point number 1 to the iMac. All my other points I didn't intend to be comparing the rMBP to the iMac :p

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
The redesigned 2012 iMac doesn't have any optical drive, either. In fact, I think the classic unibody MBP is the only Mac in 2012 that has optical drives. Looks like those are going fast.

This is actually not true. Configure a 15" MBP to the same specifications as an rMBP, and it turns out the rMBP is cheaper.
Why is the rMBP cheaper than a same-configured cMBP 15"?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Why is the rMBP cheaper than a same-configured cMBP 15"?

I think it's because Apple wants to rope people into buying rMBP. But that's not true for the 13" rMBP, so... it's up to anyone's guess, really.

You can make a cMBP have the same config as a rMBP by using aftermarket parts, but even then, the difference between them is within about $100 - $150 at most. For $100 more, you get essentially a lighter, thinner machine with a much higher resolution display and a better cooling system.

When you compare pricing, the 15" rMBP is actually a bargain.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I am leaning towards the rMBP because I like to move around my house, (couch, dining room) and sometimes might take with me.

The iPad is not my thing, so I am torn between great specs and usability.

eric44

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
I made the switch from imac to rMBP. I suppose I started with an imac because the laptops at the time seemed expensive and underpowered compared to an iMac.
Really I wanted the portability of a laptop and the rMBP gave me the choice at last.
What really swung it was the SSD and the retina display in the rMBP, in addition the price of a 27inch imac with a SSD was more than the rMBP.
I have been delighted with my choice so far!

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Care to explain how the rMBP is any more portable than the regular MBP?

I honestly don't see why people say that the rMBP is so much more portable than the MBP.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
maybe because its thinner and lighter?

For me it's the SSD. My work laptop is a Dell and we've had to replace the hard drive four times in the last few years. My I.T dept explains it as "moving the laptop around too much." That is why I stayed away from a personal laptop until now. So, for me the portability is the SSD regardless of MBP or rMBP

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
maybe because its thinner and lighter?

Lol, no offense, but it's only a difference of like two pounds. It's HARDLY any difference in shape/size, either.

For me it's the SSD. My work laptop is a Dell and we've had to replace the hard drive four times in the last few years. My I.T dept explains it as "moving the laptop around too much." That is why I stayed away from a personal laptop until now. So, for me the portability is the SSD regardless of MBP or rMBP

This is probably more valid of a point than the previous. Yet, I've never had a problem with regular drives. EVEN so, you can always put an SSD in a regular MBP, still saving TONS of money.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Will people please stop saying this? The cMBP has it's upgradeability. STOP basing it off of apple rip-off upgrade prices. It would have cost me about an extra $100 to get 1 TB and 8GB of RAM from Apple, compared to price I paid for the 1TB HDD and 16 GB of RAM I have now. AND I get to keep my old 500GB as external storage or backup, as well keep my original stock RAM.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I can take my rMBP to school. I can type on it in my lap, in bed, in the car, in a restaurant. It has a much better screen. I don't need to worry about attached accessories (mouse, keyboard, trackpad). It hides in a tiny little alcove where no iMAC could ever go. It doesn't die when the power blinks out in a storm. It fits in a bag. It's just as fast. It has all the same ports.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Lol, no offense, but it's only a difference of like two pounds. It's HARDLY any difference in shape/size, either.

This is probably more valid of a point than the previous. Yet, I've never had a problem with regular drives. EVEN so, you can always put an SSD in a regular MBP, still saving TONS of money.

thats like saying the iPad 1 is no different to the iPad 2>

i have both cmbp and rmbp and the difference is kinda "big"

2uetklg.png
208jtki.png

Last edited:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
thats like saying the iPad 1 is no different to the iPad 2>

i have both cmbp and rmbp and the difference is kinda "big"

Image Image

Big(ger)? LOL. It's like half an inch in height and maybe an inch and a half in width/length. How exactly is that going to restrict its portability? Is it not going to fit between a doorway as you go from room to room?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.