Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alittleghost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi there,

For Christmas I received a locked iPhone 4 that was purchased from Kijiji. The phone was locked to Fido (an off shoot from Rogers) . I paid Fido $50 to unlock the phone for me, so that I could use it with my Bell sim card. After they unlocked it I tried connecting it to iTunes and inserted my Bell Sim. The phone still says "No Service" and iTune prompts me by saying that the Sim is not compatible and that I need to unlock the phone to use it. I've contacted both Bell and Fido and they say that the phone looks to be unlocked. I've also looked up my imei number on IMEI.info and it says that it's unlocked and needs to be connected to iTunes. Bell told me that I need to get an LTE sim card for it to work, but I just bought a new Sim and from what I can tell LTE sims are only required for iPhone 5s.
Any help would be really appreciated, I've already lost quite a bit of money on this and I just want a working phone. I don't know if they will help me at the Apple store since it's not their phone and it's warranty is expired.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
After an iphone has been unlocked, you need to find a way to deactivate it then activate it with your new Bell Sim, as it still thinks it is locked.

If it is truely locked, then a simple restore with the Bell Sim card in the iphone will work. Restore, after the process has been complete, you should receive a "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.