Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
The problem I am having is finding speakers that are clearly the better option in a smaller size. My space is limited, so I am looking for a set of good sound speakers that are also on the small side. I am willing to spend up to $300. I have tried the Audioengine A2s and while they sounded good they did not blow me away and had an annoying issue where they would making two "buzzing" sounds upon waking.

I have also tried:

M-Audio AV40s (sounded good as well, but too large for my space)
Cerwin Vega XD3 (muddy sounding)
Bose Companion 20s (Sounded on par with A2s as far as I could tell, but not sure if they are worth the price).

I am also going to test Samson MediaOne 3a. A person in another forum stated they are on par if not better than A2s, but a bit larger.

I also know a popular suggestions is to connect bookshelf speakers to a t-amp, but the problem with that suggestion is that most bookshelf speakers are bigger than i can use.

If anyone has any suggestions of any other speakers I should try, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

pxbr

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
bump? i'd like to see some comments on this thread?

i was even thinking about something like the boston acoustics soundbar connected via an optical cable

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a pair of Yamaha HS50M nearfield monitors that I really like a lot. They replaced a pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors that were way too muddy for doing audio mixes. Moved those to my TV where they work well.

I believe the Yamahas give me a good idea of what the original engineers heard on decades of recordings when I listen to old records. These days you probably need a subwoofer to hear what they intend.

These and some of the models you mentioned are meant for studio use in close proximity. They're not for filling a room with sound, as you probably know.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I ended up finding a set of Swan M10s. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, but a week or so ago I sent an email to Lockware Systems and they had one left. I know they aren't "premium or audiophile" grade speakers, but they are noticeably better then everything I have tried and are reasonably priced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.