Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Cool How could apple POSSIBLY make the iPhone any better?!

The 5 is a great device, so great that apple I think will have a hard time making it better, as far as design. The iPhone 4s' main feature was Siri, but what killer feature could be next?

What do you guys think?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
The 5 is a great device, so great that apple I think will have a hard time making it better, as far as design. The iPhone 4s' main feature was Siri, but what killer feature could be next?

What do you guys think?
Siri=killer feature? Heck it doesn't even work half the times I tried to use it

Apple needs to fix their garbage services and focus on innovations in the software department

Why? Because iOS 6 is trash.
JS82712 is offline   6
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

LTE advanced, NFC, bigger screen, FM radio, and stuff we don't even know we want yet.
barkomatic is offline   1
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Siri=killer feature? Heck it doesn't even work half the times I tried to use it

Apple needs to fix their garbage services and focus on innovations in the software department

Why? Because iOS 6 is trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
LTE advanced, NFC, bigger screen, FM radio, and stuff we don't even know we want yet.
Completely agree with u saying its 6 is trash! It was a mistake removing YouTube as a lot of people really like native YouTube support, and google maps was MUCH better than apple maps is.. I know these can be downloaded, but when they were native apps, they wet way nicer! Also passbook is a bunch of BULL *****!

And NFC is really not an awesome feature. Jus saying. Use bump or just pull out your wallet... but the radio would be nice, as the iPod nano even has one! Bigger screen would be the best new feature. And LTE is already fast enough although now 5g is out so it will be interesting...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Siri works great for me every time I tried using it.
Doesn't work half the time and other bs some android fanboys post is just hate talk.
Applejuiced is offline   9
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core

Better camera, better battery life, better cellular reception, lighter design, faster processor, more storage capacity; there are many things Apple would improve.

Also Siri doesn't work half the time I use it, though when it does work, it's quite nice.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Better camera, better battery life, better cellular reception, lighter design, faster processor, more storage capacity; there are many things Apple would improve.

Also Siri doesn't work half the time I use it, though when it does work, it's quite nice.
Well I mean in major design and software, not things that you can't see without examining the phone and disassembling it...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Well I mean in major design and software, not things that you can't see without examining the phone and disassembling it...
Software/Hardware.
Actual call blocking, instead of using DND with workarounds. A ring/silent switch that will acutally silence ALL and not just everything BUT alarms. For that matter, how about sound profiles?

Software.
Make the Clock app useful by actually making it display the real time. They fixed the Calendar app to show the date, they can do this.

More springboard/lock screen customization. I hate that I can't put an app icon anywhere I want except if I jailbreak. I've had a flip clock with weather on my lock screen and my first home screen, but I had to jailbreak to do it.

Ability to get to certain settings directly, like with SBSettings (jailbreak app).

True speed dial. Not what we have now from the app store.

Saving video taken by the phone into the actual Video app and not the Camera Roll. Real PITA to get the vids out of the camera roll, convert to MP4 and sync back, just to get them in to the video app.

Real Photo Albums, not albums that simply serve as pointers to the pics in the camera roll (yes, I am aware of the iTunes analogy and don't care for it).

Defaulting back to home. By that I mean when accessing an app after not having used it for a while you go right back to where you left off. If you were several levels deep in the Settings app for instance you have to go all the way back. I'd like to see it just default back to the top. Some people won't like that, so maybe a switch for it.

Software/Hardware
Ability to remove Newsstand. Ability to designate another browser as the system browser. Ability to use the iPhone as a hard disk, like with my Nano.

Ability to shut off ALL sounds (i.e annoying camera shutter sound and sent SMS/MMS/iMessage sound) without having to resort to the ring/silent switch.

System themes. Blue/gray is ok, but I'd love black/dark gray (like with Safari in private browsing mode) to go with my black iPhone!

Micro SD card functionality. Ability to encrypt SMS/MMS/iMessage (yeah, you can use an app, but this should be native).

All off the top of my head for the moment. Probably more. Note that I can do most of what I've just listed with my 4 year old HTC Touch Pro which my iPhone 5 replaced.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
duhyes
macrumors member

many ways make the iphone have no scratches out of the box, easily scratched, camera lens scratch out of the box.

Better people to make the iphone...
duhyes is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:41 PM   #10
as0016
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Ability to shut off ALL sounds (i.e annoying camera shutter sound and sent SMS/MMS/iMessage sound) without having to resort to the ring/silent switch.
The camera one would be huge.
as0016 is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #11
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Siri works great for me every time I tried using it.
Doesn't work half the time and other bs some android fanboys post is just hate talk.
Oh look it's that mentality again

If it works for you, great, but don't expect everyone to have the same experience.

I didn't know owning an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 makes me a fandroid.

Honestly did apple give birth to you or something? Quit being so defensive.
JS82712 is offline   3
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:57 PM   #12
livspop
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhyes View Post

So I'm assuming you're willing to pay more, right?
livspop is online now   1
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
So I'm assuming you're willing to pay more, right?
It's not like apple's profit margin on the iPhone isn't already sky high
JS82712 is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

The entire premise is completely flawed: rather than ask what CAN they make better, the more apt question would be what CAN'T they make better.

And the answer to that is everything. From top to bottom on the iphone.

Next to the 4S the 5 feels like a plastic toy.
likethesoup2 is offline   1
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:14 PM   #15
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Bigger Screen would be the #1 possible improvement, not only would it be instantly noticeable it would increase functionality of the device.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
The entire premise is completely flawed: rather than ask what CAN they make better, the more apt question would be what CAN'T they make better.

And the answer to that is everything. From top to bottom on the iphone.
So you are saying the iPhone 5 is perfect.
Spungoflex is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:23 PM   #17
poobear
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhyes View Post
Are you saying that american people are better than chinese?
poobear is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Damolee
macrumors 6502

Sometimes more is less.

How about giving people free reign to REMOVE certain things. That in itself is a killer feature.

Such as being able to remove Newsstand, or use your own apps as "native" ones.

With very little effort they could improve the experience tenfold.
Damolee is offline   1
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear View Post
Are you saying that american people are better than chinese?
He's saying the people making the iphone aren't doing a very good job. Slave labor usually isn't all that great.
Spungoflex is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Bigger Memory. Faster processor. Not to assume every iPhone user is in the US.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #21
ftaok
macrumors 601

The first thing they should do is to have an integral web browser in the Stocks app. I hate having to go back to the home screen every time I happen to read a stock story from the stocks app.

Regarding the deal with Maps and You Tube apps. I very much prefer the iOS6 maps app compared to the iOS5 version. Turn-by-turn and vector tiles are great additions. Sure, the POI data is pretty crappy, but U typically find the addresses of places that I'm looking for, and the apple maps app does ok with addresses.

As for You Tube, the google app works very well. What we have now is better tgan what we had before. With the exception of iOS6 YouTube having ads.
ftaok is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #22
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

I agree 100%.

I feel they should also move back to the 4/4S design. I loved that design. It felt very solid in the hand. Felt like a premium device. The 5 feels cheap, too light. Go ahead and laugh but I'd rather hold something that's firm and solid than a feather.

Here's a hopin they restore the 4S form factor with the iPHONE 6 and a larger screen, like 4.3".
MattMJB0188 is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #23
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Still I would love to see NFC in the device .
A bit wider screen; not too wide.
128GB

There was once stories about haptic displays; still waiting for that.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:36 PM   #24
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
He's saying the people making the iphone aren't doing a very good job. Slave labor usually isn't all that great.
Slave labor makes just about all of our electronics.
CEmajr is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #25
imacintosh.0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Slave labor makes just about all of our electronics.
Or in Samsung's case slave child labor
imacintosh.0 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland