Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2013: Withings Debuts New Smart Activity Tracker

Withings today announced its new Smart Activity Tracker, which is designed to measure heart rate, monitor sleep quality and food intake, and track movement.

Health monitoring devices have seen a surge in popularity of late, with offerings like the Jawbone Up, the Nike Fuelband, and the Fitbit One.

The Smart Activity Tracker, which is designed to clip to clothing or fit into a pocket much like the Fitbit One, is the first health monitor to also measure pulse rate. It has a touch-sensitive front allowing for navigation between functions and a heart rate sensor in the back that is activated when a finger is placed on it.

The tracker uses Bluetooth Smart (4.0) to sync to Withings'*Health Mate app, and has an estimated two week battery life.

Withings has also introduced the next iteration of its smart scale. The Smart Body Analyzer WS-50 now tracks air quality and heart rate in addition to changes in weight and body fat.

Both products will be available at CES this week, which begins on Jan. 8 and ends on Jan. 11. The Smart Body Analyzer is expected to go on sale this quarter for $150, while the Smart Activity Tracker is due before the end of March. At this time, no pricing has been announced.

Article Link: CES 2013: Withings Debuts New Smart Activity Tracker
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
iphone495
macrumors member

Too bad Apple is not part of CES.

Last edited by iphone495; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
iphone495 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
komodrone
Banned

I want a device that tracks my tracking devices.
komodrone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Kutuzov
macrumors newbie

MyBasis has already launched and it measures heart rate. So how can it be the first device to measure heart rate?? http://www.mybasis.com/
Kutuzov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutuzov View Post
MyBasis has already launched and it measures heart rate. So how can it be the first device to measure heart rate??
I suppose it depends on what "first device" means. In the context of this discussion, "first device" seems to mean the first device that connects with an iOS app. Since MyBasis doesn't have an iOS app yet, it is not the first device.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
jbimler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutuzov View Post
MyBasis has already launched and it measures heart rate. So how can it be the first device to measure heart rate?? http://www.mybasis.com/
Is this based on the same technology as the Alpha HR monitor?

I can't wait until these things are out of beta testing and cheap.
jbimler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Kutuzov
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
I suppose it depends on what "first device" means. In the context of this discussion, "first device" seems to mean the first device that connects with an iOS app. Since MyBasis doesn't have an iOS app yet, it is not the first device.
You are right, I thought MyBasis had an app already. It will surely come (especially since they plan to release an API).
Kutuzov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:57 AM   #8
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

Is there any word on how the sleep tracking works? I'm on the market for a 'smart alarm' (I don't really care about activity tracking) but so far the Jawbone Up is the only product that fits the bill, but I have reservations about its reliability.
EmpyreanUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:37 AM   #9
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
I quite like how the new body scales has the addition of a heart rate monitor. Shame I've not long purchased their current model though

If they could only ditch the useless BMI, or provide a way to turn this archaic nonsense off, that would be a good thing

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion