Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I have an iPad 2 which I back up to iCloud and sync through my computer. If I were to wipe it and then restore from the backup, which things get restored? Do things like music, photos, contacts, and messages (none of which I back up through iCloud) get restored? My music is stored locally on my computer and syncs automatically through iTunes (I've checked certain artists and albums).

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
When I restore from an iCloud backup the only items NOT restored are music and videos - or least very few. For example, I have approximately 1800 songs in the cloud and generally will get about 500 back from a restore. I don't know why but I have to go back in and manually download them from the cloud. What I DO get is all my apps and any data associated with them. Before the cloud when everything had to be done through iTunes, this was not the case. The app would be restored but no stored data. I'll never go back to using iTunes.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I use iTunes for my backups and everything gets restored. It sounds like it wasn't working right for nehope.

One thing to be careful about if you uses iCloud backups is that if any of your apps are no longer in the App Store then they won't be restored.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Ramparts, if you want to back up and then restore your iPad, do a manual backup inside of iTunes. It's much faster than doing everything from the Cloud.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Ramparts, if you want to back up and then restore your iPad, do a manual backup inside of iTunes. It's much faster than doing everything from the Cloud.

Sounds reasonable. So which things are backed up when I back up manually?

DyslexicKobe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
****iTunes will back up the following information
Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (MobileMe, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Installed Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, installed configuration profiles are not restored (such as accounts, restrictions, or anything which can be specified through an installed profile.) Any accounts or settings that are not associated with an installed profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.
* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

iCloud Backs Up The Following

What is backed up

You get unlimited free storage for:

Purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books
Notes: Backup of purchased music is not available in all countries. Backups of purchased movies and TV shows are U.S. only. Previous purchases may not be restored if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.

Some previously purchased movies may not be available in iTunes in the Cloud. These movies will indicate that they are not available in iTunes in the Cloud on their product details page in the iTunes Store. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.

You get 5 GB of free iCloud storage for:

Photos and videos in the Camera Roll
Device settings (for example: Phone Favorites, Wallpaper, and Mail, Contacts, Calendar accounts)
App data
Home screen and app organization
Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS)
Ringtones
Visual Voicemails

This is directly from apple articles on their website.
iCloud :http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859
iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Samuelaler

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
The process for restoring an iPad from an iCloud backup begins by wiping the iPad, which puts it into the same clean state it was when you first got it out of the box. But before you take this step, it is a good idea to make sure your iPad is being backed up to the iCloud.
Check this link it may help: http://goo.gl/vj0VyX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.