Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:14 PM   #26
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
No, you're not - seems pointless to me. No idea why there's such a huge hype surrounding them.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:16 PM   #27
mrat93
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mrat93
The Pebble watch looks nicer and has more potential IMO. They have an open SDK for developers to write their own apps for it. They also have a press conference on Wednesday at CES. Wonder what else they'll announce...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Poncho
macrumors 6502

Rubbish.

And that buzzing noise is already giving me a headache.
Poncho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #29
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

One great use for this would be if you could just vibrate and no beep.. this could be the perfect alarm for couples who wake up at different times...
RolyPolyBird is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #30
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

This actually seems kind of cool. Definitely not a necessity, but I'm sure there's a decent market for it. I guess it's useful if you're on the run a lot and can't really be pulling your phone in and out of your pocket or purse checking for a call or message you're waiting for. It doesn't look too bad, but does seen a little thick.
chr1s60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #31
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

I backed twice and got two of these. One silver and one black. Love them. Looking forward to added functionality as the app improves.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #32
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

I like the idea, and the innovation. More of these kinds of products will hopefully enter the market as well.

As far as this watch goes, no thanks. But I do like the idea
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #33
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
No, you're not - seems pointless to me. No idea why there's such a huge hype surrounding them.
The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:29 PM   #34
elasticmedia
macrumors newbie

I know everybody is doing the pile-on here, but there are some things that would be very cool. The find my phone button is great. While I keep my phone in my pocket, many women don't because pants manufacturers have decided that women don't need pockets and pants don't come with them. Often women keep phones in purses and when they are on silent, they don't get the calls.
elasticmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #35
tann
macrumors 65816

Damn cool! These watches will be commonplace in a few years I hope. I used to wear a watch everyday, then my phone became my watch, now if a watch could tell me what song I was playing, or who was calling me (or what a text said) then I'd be all over that.

This seems to tell you you have a facebook notification, or a tweet, but not what it says. The Pebble 'wins' in that regard, but I still want something that can do SMS's.

After that I'll sure as hell wear a watch every day again!!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:35 PM   #36
AlanFord
macrumors regular

I still dont wont to be destracted in the toilet.
Privacy, screw these things who just bzzzz bzzz notifications every second.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:37 PM   #37
partyBoy
Banned

ill pass, overrated...ill rather get the ipod nano and the watch band
partyBoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
It would be kinda cool... For a few days. But really, its a very quick process to pull your phone out of your pocket and check the notification.
What about while you're driving? What about while you are having a face to face conversation with another human? It's less disruptive and distracting to just glance at your wrist, than to reach into your pocket and pull something out to look at it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:42 PM   #39
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

Too big and clunky for my taste.
DotCom2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #40
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

This is entirely too much jewelry for grandpa!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	388410  
avanpelt is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #41
iVoid
macrumors 65816

So the watch looks like it is thicker than the iPhone 5.

I don't even wear a watch any more... don't think this will make me start again.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:48 PM   #42
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Yeah I don't get it.

For a watch? That's cheap as all get out. I wouldn't trust it to tell the time, let alone talk to my phone. Not to mention the strain an always-on BT connection is going to put on the battery of both devices.

For the record, I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz for more dressy things and a Tissot T-Sport Veloci for biking and skiing (or just more casual stuff) so I may be a smidge biased against it.

Last edited by britboyj; Jan 6, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
britboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:53 PM   #43
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrat93 View Post
The Pebble watch looks nicer and has more potential IMO. They have an open SDK for developers to write their own apps for it. They also have a press conference on Wednesday at CES. Wonder what else they'll announce...
Pebble is way better, has way more functionality. It's also thinner too. The only drawback is battery life is 7+ days, but honestly, that is fine with me (you won't have to ever replace the battery) cause the trade off is much more functionality.

Skip/pause songs, read sms, see who is calling, integrates with phone's gps to do things like be a speedometer on a bike, you can change the clock face, read email (at least subject line to determine if you need to read it now or ignore).

On top of that, your right, the SDK. That is most important thing cause it opens it up to anyone's ideas.

For example, pebble doesn't allow you to click for photos, but I am sure someone will create that through the SDK, which I like the idea of a lot.

And it is all for what, I think $20 more?
knemonic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:57 PM   #44
ekdor

Firstly this ad just didn't sell it for me. But I have hearing loss so I find it hard to hear my ringtones, even with the volume on max, when my phone is not right with me or is in my pocket. The vibrator isn't much help. I wanted to get one of those wristbands that has vibrate notification in it. All I need to know is when the phone wants my attention. Nice and soft, nice and flexible and very durable. Alas my, in perfect working order 3Gs doesn't support Bluetooth 4.

Last edited by dejo; Aug 15, 2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: restored post.
ekdor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:04 PM   #45
Michasss8
macrumors newbie

I wish i could buy it in Poland.
Michasss8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:05 PM   #46
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand why I'd want to buy one of these.
There has been many times I've sat in a car or restaurant and got some notification or wanted to check the time but didn't bother because pulling my phone out while sitting down was too much of a hassle for something minor. I could see it come in handy for stuff like that then especially if you wanted a watch anyway and get lots of notifications.
newagemac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #47
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Needs to be slimmed down - much too thick.
Steve wouldn't approve. The phone is slimmer than the watch.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #48
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwgradstudent View Post
I would rather have the Citizen Proximity. Uses Bluetooth to alert you and looks like a regular watch. http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/wa...del=AT7030-05E
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
The low price of $127 is about the only thing this watch has going for it. I'd gladly pay twice that for a watch that has the same functions but doesn't look so cheap and goofy.
I showed my wife that Citizen watch, she wanted to know if it also made dinner for the price. Then I showed her the SkyHawk A-T and she clamped her mouth shut.

Maybe for my birthday I can get the proximity, though I would rather it have a metal band...
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #49
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
I get the things its suppose to do, but I don't get how. I don't like how the video doesn't show anything. On the Pebble, I get where messages appear, here, I get that .5-inch area of the watch for that info? wtf?
illegalprelude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:16 PM   #50
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
because that's so hard to do.
You don't live in snow, do you? (i know your profile says Texas)

With a parka, big mittens while shoveling, it is hard to get it out

Then again the watch will be buried too!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion