Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:31 PM   #51
dsm2gst
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dsm2gst
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.
First world problems.
dsm2gst is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #52
emwgradstudent
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
I showed my wife that Citizen watch, she wanted to know if it also made dinner for the price. Then I showed her the SkyHawk A-T and she clamped her mouth shut.

Maybe for my birthday I can get the proximity, though I would rather it have a metal band...
I love my SkyHawk! I would prefer a metal band as well. Of course I would like to see something like this in the US: http://www.intomobile.com/2009/05/20...atch-in-japan/
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #53
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwgradstudent View Post
I love my SkyHawk! I would prefer a metal band as well. Of course I would like to see something like this in the US: http://www.intomobile.com/2009/05/20...atch-in-japan/
Neat, but I prefer the Eco-Drive powered models. 8 month battery with bluetooth on and no light, 17 months with bluetooth off and no light.

That was why I hoped the other rumor about Apple creating a watch, would include some technology like Eco-Drive to help prevent the need for removing the battery or having the watch off the wearers wrist for any length of time. Plus having no ports for recharging makes the watch water resistant much easier.
diamond.g is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #54
thebluepointe
macrumors member

We recently noticed this last holiday that nobody in our gathering of 22 people wore a wrist watch anymore. Why would we want to go back to that?
thebluepointe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #55
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluepointe View Post
We recently noticed this last holiday that nobody in our gathering of 22 people wore a wrist watch anymore. Why would we want to go back to that?
I don't own a watch been without one for at least 5 years now maybe longer. This might be a nice device for those who still collect watches . Clearly this product is not being aimed at us lol
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #56
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
impressive , still

no wonder there are rumours about apple iwatch
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:03 PM   #57
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

130 to tell the time? Lol.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #58
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.
But you get notification of in incoming call (ringtones are obviously history) or message or calendar reminder you still have to pick up your phone to check what it actually is because the watch doesn't display the details.

So the question is why add another device to act as middleman in a job that really doesn't require a middleman?

Also what use is it in a pool or beach when you keep your phone further than Bluetooth would work and likely in a gym scenario if your phone is in your locker its unabe to get cellular reception anyway..

I struggle to really understand 1 genuinely practical scenario where just picking up your phone would be more awkward than checking a watch and then picking up your phone....
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #59
Xano
macrumors member

i think the watch industry is dead!
i have my iPhone always with me, so no big deal caring an extra device.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:35 PM   #60
marconiusrex
macrumors member

Music watch

If I could stream music from my iCloud to my watch ( and it also worked with a set of blue tooth headphones...now that would be useful!
marconiusrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:40 PM   #61
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
The alarm being synced with your calendar and the watch warning you that you forgot your iPhone seemed pretty cool. I don't really care for the watches design though.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #62
billyt1963
macrumors newbie

I did back Pebble and the main reason was for alerts at times when I should not be looking at my phone. I have gotten text messages during meetings that would have been good information to have for the meeting. In my car I don't always know I get a text, but when I feel a message I can get SIRI to read it for me.

I do see this as a niche product. Hopefully I can give a report on the Pebble soon.

Billy
billyt1963 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #63
Zimmer62943
macrumors member

Interesting feature of the iPhone, when gramps goes to call the kid, the phone says NO SIM, how is he doing this!?!?!?!
Zimmer62943 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:53 PM   #64
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

LMAO, I love how this forum always thinks every news article is geared towards them. Many times when a new product/gadget/software is released either by Apple or some other company (in this case a watch) people here trash either the product or the idea. Newsflash, just because the news is posted on MR doesn't mean the people here are the only target audience...and thankfully so as the companies wouldn't get any business.
HenryDJP is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:00 PM   #65
jeffgtr
macrumors regular

Big and Clunky

I can see how it might be a cool idea but this looks like you have a big chunk of plastic strapped to your wrist.
jeffgtr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:06 PM   #66
manu chao
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
because that's so hard to do.
For checking the time, wristwatches have overwhelmingly beaten the pocket watch. Apparently, taking a watch out of pocket is inconvenient enough that almost everybody prefers a wristwatch.

----------

Quote:
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.
Women often don't have their phone in their pant pockets and won't notice a vibration.
manu chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #67
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtr View Post
I can see how it might be a cool idea but this looks like you have a big chunk of plastic strapped to your wrist.

Not that bad really. Much lower profile and classier than some of the Fossil hipster watches I see around. The steel version is even nicer. Don't have a pic of it yet.

Here you go.. Wearing it now..

Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:18 PM   #68
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
Great, now I'll have no more privacy anywhere, LOL

On a serious note, I like the concept, but this thing needs to slim down if it ever hopes to gain any traction. I do believe there is a future for such devices in general; the possibilities for a watch-sized touchscreen with Bluetooth and Siri are too numerous to even think up right now.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #69
louis.b
Banned

Apparently they hire Samsung's ad firm to do this ad. So basically young up-and-coming professionals use Samsung's phones and old grandpas use iPhone5.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #70
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

I haz one, and it's not worth purchasing. Not a finished product and properly working app and hardware wise.

Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:38 PM   #71
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.
looking at the time is more rude, and most probably they wont know you're wearing that watch
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:45 PM   #72
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Ugly.

iPrefer Braun or Skagen watches.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:59 PM   #73
WisdomSeed
macrumors newbie

Is it me?

Or do these people not understand watches? First off the thing looks humongous, like something is attacking your wrist. And what is with the hideous plastic bands. I'm old fashioned, I think colored watchbands are for children. The Citizen one is nice, but it costs more than a phone!

I love the concept of these watches. Being able to connect to your phone, so you don't have to remove it from your pocket. Living in Chicago, sometimes you really want to keep your hands free, especially on public transportation. And while Siri will tell you the time, it is still is awkward to talk to your phone at times. So a watch is often a good call. But I don't want something big as a Flava' Flav, clock on my wrist.
WisdomSeed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:10 PM   #74
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

For the hipster 10yr olds with iPhone 5's
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:13 PM   #75
NXTMIKE
macrumors 6502

I couldn't even finish watching the Ad because of how horrible the music was.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion