Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deesters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi There,
I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove paragraph formatting in Word.
Under the Help section in Keyboard Shortcuts I have found how to remove character formatting (command + shift + Z) and you can remove ALL formatting by clicking the "clear formatting" button in the ribbon, however I can't seem to figure out how to clear paragraph formatting.
The shortcut on a PC is ctrl + Q, I have spent a lot of time searching google for the answer. Most of what I come up with is how to use the "show/hide non printing characters" which is not what I'm looking for. I have found a few different sites that say to use command + shift + q but that just wants to quit the program.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Don't have Word on this Mac but try highlighting the paragraph and then Command-Option-M to bring up its formatting box.

Deesters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Don't have Word on this Mac but try highlighting the paragraph and then Command-Option-M to bring up its formatting box.

Hi rdowns, thanks for the response. Yes I can bring the paragraph dialog box up that way and then I guess I could manually set everything the way I want, however I'm looking for a way to quickly remove all paragraph formatting so that it removes everything that's been done to the paragraph (indents, spacing etc.) to the default. There should be some shortcut; there is a shortcut to remove all formatting done to a document (so removes paragraph as well as character formatting), there is a shortcut to remove only character formatting (removes, italics, bold, etc) and then there should be one for just the paragraph... at least there is on PC. It makes sense that there should be one for that Mac too... or another way of doing it without having to reset everything one by one.

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
Do you mean "remove overrides to paragraph formatting", as opposed to "remove altogether"?

There's a command available but you need to add it to a menu or a toolbar, i.e. View > Customize Toolbars and Menus in the 2008 version. In the Commands tab, there's "Reset para" about half way down the list for the Format category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.