Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Budget:$1500 but willing to spend that much on used tv.
Use: Gaming,Football
Must be 3D active
Plasma,led,LCD are fine

I'm between these tvs, if you guys own one of these let me know how you Like it.
LG 50PM9700
Samsung un55es7500
Panasonic gt50

I want the best picture out there please.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I went through a similar search a few months ago and ended up with a Panasonic GT50. It really is a great TV. If I were to buy a TV again, I would buy the same model. I was looking at VT50, which is their highly awarded top of the line model, but to me it just wasn't worth it. If your ambient light levels aren't very high, meaning you're not watching TV in a super bright room, you should be fine with plasma. In that case, you can't do much better than any of the current Panasonic models. If your room is quite bright, I would just go with one of the LED sets. Still though, I love the colors on plasma TVs, which tend to be more realistic than on the LED TVs.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I went through a similar search a few months ago and ended up with a Panasonic GT50. It really is a great TV. If I were to buy a TV again, I would buy the same model. I was looking at VT50, which is their highly awarded top of the line model, but to me it just wasn't worth it. If your ambient light levels aren't very high, meaning you're not watching TV in a super bright room, you should be fine with plasma. In that case, you can't do much better than any of the current Panasonic models. If your room is quite bright, I would just go with one of the LED sets. Still though, I love the colors on plasma TVs, which tend to be more realistic than on the LED TVs.

i see, the thing is man the only thing is holding me back is thinking like.
ok the panasonic has 3D and its a smart tv
for the same cost, i can get a 46 samsung led 3D with voice command, gesture control. You see where im coming from? I hate this lol

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Just read some reviews. If you want to monkey around the TV, wave your arms etc., which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, than that may make sense. I just want to turn it on and watch it, or maybe put on a PS 3 game.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Just read some reviews. If you want to monkey around the TV, wave your arms etc., which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, than that may make sense. I just want to turn it on and watch it, or maybe put on a PS 3 game.

yeah but what eats me the most is that the sammy tv has a dual core processor which can be upgraded to quad-core. tells me this tv is future proof. But the Panasonic has a better looking picture right? i mean it is plasma.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
yeah but what eats me the most is that the sammy tv has a dual core processor which can be upgraded to quad-core. tells me this tv is future proof. But the Panasonic has a better looking picture right? i mean it is plasma.

Stay away from plasma TVs. They cost a fortune (literally) to fix if it craps out on you. And LCD is so 2006. Get an LED TV. You'll generally get a much brighter display with more vivid colors. Also, why do you want a 3D TV? How often do you watch in 3D? Just curious. I don't find 3D TVs anywhere near worth what they're selling for. Personally, I think this whole 3D thing is just a fad. If you watch a lot of sports, which you stated, I suggest getting a TV with a high refresh rate of at least 120Hz. Hope this helps.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not sure why you need a dual core processor in a TV.

Unless the TV does 4 or 8K it is not future proof.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Not sure why you need a dual core processor in a TV.

Unless the TV does 4 or 8K it is not future proof.

you got a point.
can you just hit me with a tv? lol i need an active 3D that has amazing PQ and is less likely to feature burn-in or that has issues with screens.
ive heard samsung has best pq quality but bad hardware
so im confused here.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
you got a point.
can you just hit me with a tv? lol i need an active 3D that has amazing PQ and is less likely to feature burn-in or that has issues with screens.
ive heard samsung has best pq quality but bad hardware
so im confused here.
Honestly I don't think any new TV out there has the same burn it problem of 5 years ago. Just don't use the same static image for a few hours or any TV will brun in over time. I really would wait until after CES before buying a new high end TV as there is going to be a lot of new sets announced and prices will drop on the current displays.

Why do you need 3D, and how often will you use it, you can save a lot by just buying a normal set. Just look for a set with enough HDMI ports.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Honestly I don't think any new TV out there has the same burn it problem of 5 years ago. Just don't use the same static image for a few hours or any TV will brun in over time. I really would wait until after CES before buying a new high end TV as there is going to be a lot of new sets announced and prices will drop on the current displays.

Why do you need 3D, and how often will you use it, you can save a lot by just buying a normal set. Just look for a set with enough HDMI ports.

ah i got a couple of 3D movies i want to play it on, and im getting a 3D box from DirectTV so football/sports in 3d would be nice.

yeah thats what i was thinking but usually don't companies ship 2 months after they announce them? im looking to buy at the end of the month and cant wait any longer.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
ah i got a couple of 3D movies i want to play it on, and im getting a 3D box from DirectTV so football/sports in 3d would be nice.

yeah thats what i was thinking but usually don't companies ship 2 months after they announce them? im looking to buy at the end of the month and cant wait any longer.
I don't think there is much 3D sports content, at least not 24/7. If you want to watch movies you need a pitch black room and a huge set to emerse yourself in the 3D, otherwise it is pointless for home use.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I don't think there is much 3D sports content, at least not 24/7. If you want to watch movies you need a pitch black room and a huge set to emerse yourself in the 3D, otherwise it is pointless for home use.

SO LED OR PLASMA? Best for Movies/games/sports?
its between SAMSUNG UN46ES7500(LED-LCD)
or Panasonic GT50(Plasma)
im between these two.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Stay away from plasma TVs. They cost a fortune (literally) to fix if it craps out on you. And LCD is so 2006. Get an LED TV. You'll generally get a much brighter display with more vivid colors. Also, why do you want a 3D TV? How often do you watch in 3D? Just curious. I don't find 3D TVs anywhere near worth what they're selling for. Personally, I think this whole 3D thing is just a fad. If you watch a lot of sports, which you stated, I suggest getting a TV with a high refresh rate of at least 120Hz. Hope this helps.

Stay away from plasma? Plasma is the best technology known to man. Plasma leader - Panasonic (obvious).
I've got several tv's here and there and in terms of 3D here is the best model which I own (and yes I am an expert) http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/panasonic-unveils-infinite-black-ultra-panel-plasmas-for-2012-e/

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
SO LED OR PLASMA? Best for Movies/games/sports?
its between SAMSUNG UN46ES7500(LED-LCD)
or Panasonic GT50(Plasma)
im between these two.
Remember plasma will cost more to run, if you have a dark room for for it. The reviews say the GT50 is over prices for the features. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50gt50/4505-6482_7-35123233.html

Of those 2 I say the LED Samsung.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un46es7500/4505-6482_7-35117942.html

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Is that why the majority of new TVs released by Sony and Samsung are all LED or LCD televisions? And is that why I see Plasmas all over the clearance section? Hmm. :rolleyes: I suppose you're right. You're the "expert."

To the OP: worth a read.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

That's a bit harsh, I would say.

Here is a quote from the recent Sound & Vision magazine Panny VT50 review: "Bottom Line: Panasonic’s TC-P55VT50 is an excellent television, probably the best on the market. Its awe-inspiring contrast ratio, incredibly deep black level, and near-perfect color combine to produce one of the best pictures I’ve seen. (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-panasonic-tc-p55vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv)

The GT50 is not far from VT50 in picture quality. Frankly, I can't really tell the difference. In any case both LED and plasma TVs clearly have their place in today's market. Both technologies have their pros and cons, and so one has to be aware of these and choose according to their primary purpose and viewing environment. Plasma is not as bright as LED and its screen is more reflective, so for bright rooms and day viewing, one should examine closely the LED TVs. If one's primary focus is on picture quality in terms of color accuracy and contrast, plasma is the best there is. There are plenty of online reviews that confirm the aforementioned sentiment.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Plasma is still the best technology known to man. You want the best quality your answer is PLASMA point blank. Forget about unrealistic image quality coming from LED. Its like driving Mercedes s class with 320CDI (diesel engine). If you can't afford to run it don't buy ****. Always make me laugh how fellas try to floss making pennies.

Keep it real people.

Last edited:

phantoms

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I never understood this argument, why do people buy a tv? because they want to watch it, the main goal there should be buying the tv with the best picture. your answer is a PLASMA. With the exception of a super bright room there should be no other option. Who cares if the tv cost a few more bucks a year to run, or it puts off alittle more heat. You dont go out to buy a home theater system and buy the one that sounds just ok because its cheaper to run. you buy the one that sounds the BEST!. same with computers you guys complaining about power consumption dont think twice about your 500+ watt power supplies in your computers or that you leave them on night and day. A tv is a fraction of that.

Just be smart and go out and buy the tv with the best picture, a plasma. you dont have to worry about motion blur ever or drop a few more bills just to get one thats 120hz or 240hz.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I never understood this argument, why do people buy a tv? because they want to watch it, the main goal there should be buying the tv with the best picture. your answer is a PLASMA. With the exception of a super bright room there should be no other option. Who cares if the tv cost a few more bucks a year to run, or it puts off alittle more heat. You dont go out to buy a home theater system and buy the one that sounds just ok because its cheaper to run. you buy the one that sounds the BEST!. same with computers you guys complaining about power consumption dont think twice about your 500+ watt power supplies in your computers or that you leave them on night and day. A tv is a fraction of that.

Just be smart and go out and buy the tv with the best picture, a plasma. you dont have to worry about motion blur ever or drop a few more bills just to get one thats 120hz or 240hz.

As simple as that ;) Like I said before its like driving diesel 7 series or s class worrying about petrol. You always reach the top and enjoy your money while this paper is still worth something. I guess those who struggled multiplying it always the most opinionated. Be easy, smile and have fun!

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Once you go black you never go back. All black everything #plasmawin
OLED gives you true black paper thin and less cost to run. Like it or not that is the future of tv's.

I don't even know if they can make a 4k plasma.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
OLED gives you true black paper thin and less cost to run. Like it or not that is the future of tv's.

I don't even know if they can make a 4k plasma.

OLED is nothing else than potential. Just keeping it real with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.