Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

iPad 4 number of tabs open?

Hey guys I just got an iPad 4, and coming from an iPad one this is a pretty big upgrade. In particular I like Siri for dictating emails, messages and web searchs, and the new screen is great. Internet browsing is also vastly improved without lag or other anomalies but I have noticed tabs do reload if I have a bunch open. With faster overall load times and with the greater number of tabs I'm able to keep in memory at once this isn't a major issue but I thought after four generations you'd pretty much be able to max out safari with no reloading. Guess I guessed wrong on that one?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by $MacUser$ View Post
...after four generations you'd pretty much be able to max out safari with no reloading. Guess I guessed wrong on that one?
Have you ever heard of a thing called Random Access Memory? That severely limits a devices capability when it features a small amount.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #3
syd430

Just be glad you don't have a Mini with its paltry 512 MB of RAM
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:51 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Just be glad you don't have a Mini with its paltry 512 MB of RAM
While iOS only shows 10 tabs open, I have 14 open on my iPad mini without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	388508  
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
While iOS only shows 10 tabs open, I have 14 open on my iPad mini without any issues.
But can you access all the tabs without any of them reloading?
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:16 AM   #6
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
But can you access all the tabs without any of them reloading?
With 10 open, some reload and some don't. I honestly don't see why anyone would have maybe more than 4 or 5 though. You can only view one at a time and at that point, it doesn't matter if the page reloads. Well, to me anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:30 AM   #7
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

I'm kind of crazy when I get researching. Ten tabs+ open constantly switching back cross-checking information.

And yes, Hebrew, I have heard of RAM. I just assumed having four times as much would all but eliminate reloading. I suppose I was wrong.

Even still, with faster page loads and more pages stored in memory overall when compared to Pad 1, this is a great upgrade. I guess it'll be a few more gens before this goes away entirely.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

To OP, try other browsers.
Kolmogorov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:02 AM   #9
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I honestly don't see why anyone would have maybe more than 4 or 5 though. You can only view one at a time and at that point
I want to digest a large amount of information in the most efficient way possible. If i'm researching something, I tend to max out the tab limit by opening pages in the background from a search results page for instance.

Even when casually browsing, I can easily max out at 24 tabs by opening in the background articles that interest me from news aggregators and then quickly churn through them one by one.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that use their ipad in this way.
  1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad