Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Withings today announced its new Smart Activity Tracker, which is designed to measure heart rate, monitor sleep quality and food intake, and track movement.

Health monitoring devices have seen a surge in popularity of late, with offerings like the Jawbone Up, the Nike Fuelband, and the Fitbit One.

The Smart Activity Tracker, which is designed to clip to clothing or fit into a pocket much like the Fitbit One, is the first health monitor to also measure pulse rate. It has a touch-sensitive front allowing for navigation between functions and a heart rate sensor in the back that is activated when a finger is placed on it.

smartactivitytracker.jpg

The tracker uses Bluetooth Smart (4.0) to sync to Withings' Health Mate app, and has an estimated two week battery life.

Withings has also introduced the next iteration of its smart scale. The Smart Body Analyzer WS-50 now tracks air quality and heart rate in addition to changes in weight and body fat.

Both products will be available at CES this week, which begins on Jan. 8 and ends on Jan. 11. The Smart Body Analyzer is expected to go on sale this quarter for $150, while the Smart Activity Tracker is due before the end of March. At this time, no pricing has been announced.

Article Link: CES 2013: Withings Debuts New Smart Activity Tracker

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
MyBasis has already launched and it measures heart rate. So how can it be the first device to measure heart rate??

I suppose it depends on what "first device" means. In the context of this discussion, "first device" seems to mean the first device that connects with an iOS app. Since MyBasis doesn't have an iOS app yet, it is not the first device. :(

Kutuzov

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
I suppose it depends on what "first device" means. In the context of this discussion, "first device" seems to mean the first device that connects with an iOS app. Since MyBasis doesn't have an iOS app yet, it is not the first device. :(

You are right, I thought MyBasis had an app already. It will surely come (especially since they plan to release an API).

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Is there any word on how the sleep tracking works? I'm on the market for a 'smart alarm' (I don't really care about activity tracking) but so far the Jawbone Up is the only product that fits the bill, but I have reservations about its reliability.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I quite like how the new body scales has the addition of a heart rate monitor. Shame I've not long purchased their current model though

If they could only ditch the useless BMI, or provide a way to turn this archaic nonsense off, that would be a good thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.