Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi all,

My Macbook Pro's (15" OSX 10.6) keyboard is not working. This occurred after I downloaded two key remapping programs (KeyRemap4Macbook and Double Command). I attempted to uninstall both programs, and I can find no trace of either program anywhere, but the problem persists. I've rebooted multiple times, with no change.

I performed a PRAM reset, and the problem went away for a few seconds, but then returned.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm currently using my sister's computer, but I really need to get my machine working again.

Mike

Last edited:

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I just realized that there is an icon for KeyRemap4Macbook in the top bar, clicking on it opens a dropdown menu that allows me to check for updates and open preferences.

So there apparently is a trace of this program left, but I can find no files relating to it.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I've never used that program, but I would try this to uninstall it:

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/document-uninstall.html.en

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that I can't get to that menu, since the program already appears to be uninstalled, there must be some remnant of it left however.

Would reinstalling the program and then uninstalling it possibly work? I'm worried that having a damaged version of the program and a fresh version would cause new issues.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The programs that you installed or any name close to it. See if there are any left over processes. Sometimes apps can install some system level files that could begin running when the system boots.

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Ah good call. I dont know how I didnt notice before, but there is a KeyRemap process in the activity monitor. I cant quit the process.

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Yes that might be the end of it...but here's the kicker; I cant install the program again because I need to enter my system password to complete the install.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Yes that might be the end of it...but here's the kicker; I cant install the program again because I need to enter my system password to complete the install.
Try starting up holding down the shift key, starts up without extensions, which may give you the chance to use your keyboard and input your system password. Worth a try I think.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Did you kill the process in Activity Monitor first?

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
So I did that, started in "safe boot" mode, and now everything seems to be working correctly. The icon that was on the top bar is gone, the KeyRemap4Macbook process is also gone.

I dont think I should take any further action, because everything is working currently. So thank you very much!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that I can't get to that menu, since the program already appears to be uninstalled, there must be some remnant of it left however.

Would reinstalling the program and then uninstalling it possibly work? I'm worried that having a damaged version of the program and a fresh version would cause new issues.

Yes, I would reinstall, and then follow those instructions to uninstall it.

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Ok, so I restarted again, and the problem is back, so I will safe boot again and reinstall and uninstall the program and see if that works

Mecon5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Ok so here's the final explanation. It turns out that both programs were still technically installed on my machine even though I deleted all the files I could find.

DoubleCommand still had a folder in Library/StartupItems, which was conflicting with KeyRemap4Macbook, and causing the keyboard to malfunction. In safe mode I was able to delete this startup item, then reinstall KeyRemap4Macbook, and uninstall it.

So now both programs are completely uninstalled and my machine is running in normal boot and the keyboard works.

So I sincerely thank all of you for your help, you guys are life savers! :)
If a mod wants edit the title of this thread with a resolved tag, go for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.