Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaiboyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Hi,

Wonder if someone can help.

I have a iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), that's been running fine up till about a year ago.

Now sometimes when you take it out of sleep, one of the following will happen:
- Screen will come on, then just go blank.
or
- Screen will come on, screen freezes but the cursor will still move around, but nothing will be selectable.
With both you can hear the hard drive and fans still spinning. The only way to bring it back is to completely power it off, and on. But sometimes after doing this, after signing in again, it my freeze or blank out again.

When the iMac is on, its normally ok, but if after bringing out of sleep you try and open things, it can then go blank or freeze as above. But when Its been on for 5 minutes its fine and runs fine for hours or even days if you leave it on.

It doesn't always happen, many times when you turn it on, its fine, just getting more and more...

I have upgraded to latest OS and recently upgraded the 250gb internal hard drive to 1TB drive, I cleaned the fans out while doing this, but again issues remain.
Can anyone suggest what could be causing this? I would be fixing it myself, as its out of warranty and more than capable of doing a full strip down.

Thanks

ShaiboyUK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.