Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1
ijrc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Buy MBA now? or should I wait?

Any idea when the next MBA's will be released? What are the latest rumors?

I'm looking to replace my 18 month old MBA.
Current stats:
13 inch
1.8ghz i7
4GB ram
256gb SSD


Based on currently available MBA on Apple.com, I would buy
13 inch
2ghz i7
8gb ram
256gb SSD
ijrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:01 AM   #2
davenz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Probably July ish. If you need one now buy it. If you don't, wait.

Pretty simple....
davenz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:01 AM   #3
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Why would you want to upgrade already? I would wait for haswell as it will benefit Laptops massively when it comes to battery performance, it will also have the much faster onboard graphics (HD 5000?)
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:08 AM   #4
ka-spot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Thumbs up cant wait...

...wait with me for the haswell
__________________
ka-spot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Booji
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Singapore
Yours is more than adequate for most needs - unless you have a burning need to upgrade, you should wait.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
ahmet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Why would you want to upgrade already? I would wait for haswell as it will benefit Laptops massively when it comes to battery performance, it will also have the much faster onboard graphics (HD 5000?)
Haswell's onboard graphics' name is HD 4600 and will be twice better and consume less energy. I have a mid 2012 MBA and sure will buy this
ahmet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:01 AM   #7
zedsdead
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Wait for Haswell. Your current machine should hold you until they are released.
__________________
iMac 27: 3.4 Core i7 Quad, 768gb SSD, 24gb of RAM, 2gb NVIDIA 680mx
rMBP 13: 2.6 Core i5, Iris 5100, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD
iPad Air, iPhone 6, Apple TV, Final Cut X, Logic X, Drobo 5D
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
For me it would come down to justifying the cost to myself. It looks like you'd be buying a computer with a .2ghz faster processor and 4gb more of ram. If it were me and I had a buyer lined up for my old MBA and could get into a new one for like 200 more out of pocket, I'd probably do it. However, if you were going to sell your old one for like 700 bucks and then spend another 500-600 more on a new computer, I probably wouldn't do it since you aren't going to see much in terms of gain performance wise. I always like new toys and gadgets, but I have to be able to justify it to myself
__________________
Lots of Apple stuff........
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:43 AM   #9
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmet View Post
Haswell's onboard graphics' name is HD 4600 and will be twice better and consume less energy. I have a mid 2012 MBA and sure will buy this
Yep i have the 2011 model and i think ill upgrade to the Haswell model just for the better battery life
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Every time this question comes up it makes me think of that thread "Have A Cookie or Wait" ...
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:15 PM   #11
ijrc
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thx everyone

Thanks for the feedback.

I try to replace my Mac every 18 months. I tend to get a great re-sale value since I have AppleCare to include.

Based on the Haswell feedback I'll likely hold off another 6 months! Of course, my re-sale value will go down when there is a new announcement...but oh well.
ijrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:26 PM   #12
DrumApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I just bought a 13" i5 8gb to hold me until summer when the next model comes out. I'll sell it off around June and pickup the latest & greatest.
DrumApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Buy now, they're very well sorted out.

Reliable, fast and efficient there's no reason to wait for a new model. Even though it's Apple, there's always that possibility of bugs or other annoyances.

The grass is not always greener...
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
This time next year we will be asking the same question, and people will say, Wait for HD5000, retina (it did not surface summer 2013 )

Every 18 months? sounds tiring just thinking about it. To each his own.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijrc View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I try to replace my Mac every 18 months. I tend to get a great re-sale value since I have AppleCare to include.

Based on the Haswell feedback I'll likely hold off another 6 months! Of course, my re-sale value will go down when there is a new announcement...but oh well.
The old cliché about 'buy if you need, wait if you merely want' is the advice I would offer. For now, the specs on your machine sound pretty impressive to me, given that any upgrade you are likely to make before rumoured (note, rumoured) upgrades occur, will be, at best, fairly incremental.

As you have Applecare, you can afford to wait a few months and then see what the summer brings.

My own position is slightly different as my MBA is 28 months old, a year older than yours, so any change I make over the next few months will be quite noticeable.

Of course, resale value goes down every time there is an upgrade, - despite Applecare - or a significant change in the product line. That is life, and that is also the price you pay for acquiring a significant upgrade in computing power or radical innovation in technology.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:38 PM   #16
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Wait it out, then if you want buy "the older" model (which would be the current model now) for less and save money that way.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Liquinn
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
Wait for Haswell. Your current machine should hold you until they are released.
Why not wait for Broadwell at that point? :P
__________________
2011 Mini | 13" (cMBP) + 15" (rMBP 2013) | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad |
Liquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:28 PM   #18
aeboi
macrumors 65816
 
aeboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bay Area
If you were watching Intel's CES keynote which is streaming right now, you'd realize that it'd be wise to wait for Haswell for battery life alone. Unless you "need" to have it right now. And I roughly quote, "biggest battery leap in Intel corporation's history."

Last edited by aeboi; Jan 8, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
aeboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
bp1000
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
At a guess, would Haswell chips be capable of playing arma games at its lowest settings?
__________________
#applechat
bp1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:57 PM   #20
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
I usually say go for it, since the 2012 Air is awesome....but seeing that your Air is only 18months old, you might as well wait a little while until you see slowings. 18 months is pretty new, especially since you aren't getting any more storage.....it won't really be worth the money to upgrade. Might as well wait awhile
__________________
Current 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2012); Nexus 5
Check Out My YouTube Videos! (Mac, iPod, and Android) youtube.com/yanksrock1000
yanksrock100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:20 PM   #21
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'm just guessing but the new MacBook Airs will have 10hours of battery life~
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:07 AM   #22
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijrc View Post
Any idea when the next MBA's will be released? What are the latest rumors?

I'm looking to replace my 18 month old MBA.
Current stats:
13 inch
1.8ghz i7
4GB ram
256gb SSD


Based on currently available MBA on Apple.com, I would buy
13 inch
2ghz i7
8gb ram
256gb SSD
Generally they will be released in june but from what im reading the low voltage haswell chips wont be ready then (am I reading it wrong) anyway I couldnt wait and i just got a new one last week. Its pretty impressive and i dont regret it. Tech moves so fast you could always wait for the next thing and you will always be waiting.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #23
The Man
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I was contemplating buying a MacBook Air too. But I'm waiting for Haswell. I really hope that it ups the battery life. I would like to have a portable with true 7-10 hour battery life.
The Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 PM   #24
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Why are you all saying June? Didn't intel say late 2013 for the new chips? So that sounds like q4, q3 at the earliest. It might still be worth the wait, but I wouldn't bet on June.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:22 AM   #25
Obese Lobsters
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Although I would wait until Haswell, I would actually skip retina if it came to the air. I do not believe the air has sufficient battery to power a retina display for a prolonged period of time; thus, leading to diminished battery life.
Obese Lobsters is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy 13' MBA or wait for refresh of rMBP? bfizz MacBook Air 19 Jun 26, 2013 12:57 AM
Buy MBA now or wait? Liquinn MacBook Air 16 Mar 4, 2013 09:37 AM
Buy 2012 MBA or wait for 2013 model? joshi3joshi MacBook Air 26 Feb 21, 2013 11:45 PM
Buy MBA or wait for Sept announcements? jmichael99 MacBook Air 15 Aug 18, 2012 09:30 PM
MBA - Time to buy or wait for retina? jacob.schmidt MacBook Air 41 Aug 15, 2012 09:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC