Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi, this is posted for a friend:

I was wondering if sites like Project FREETV are dangerous for 10.8.2? I have latest updates and running Java version "1.6.0_37".

A lot of pop up windows open and I'm wondering if those can install keyloggers, trojans etc if you click on any of the windows to close them. Some even have a dialog box that opens up and wont close unless you click "Yes" to close it. I do not press any buttons to download anything but I'm afraid the "close window" buttons are malicious.

A lot of the ads are from vixden.com, putlocker, sockshare, etc. and I'm wondering if the popups are just for ads or to inject code into your system.

Browser is latest edition of Chrome with javascript enabled. I also needed to install JRE because of NEC spectraview monitor software.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
If Java is disabled, no malware should install on your Mac.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for replying. I was mainly concerned that java can be a way those sites can infect macs. Do you think 10.8.2 and java 6 might be vulnerable. The article was written in the 10.6 OSX days. Also, how can I check?

HOW DO I DISABLE JAVA without uninstalling it? I need to run monitor calibration software that needs JRE 6.

Thanks.

"When a user clicks the infected link, the trojan initially runs as a Java applet, which downloads other files to the computer, including an installer, which launches automatically. When run, the installer modifies system files to bypass the need for passwords, allowing outside access to all files on the system."

If Java is disabled, no malware should install on your Mac.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
HOW DO I DISABLE JAVA without uninstalling it? I need to run monitor calibration software that needs JRE 6.
You just need to disable Java in your browser preferences. Applications that need Java on your Mac will still be able to use it.

NB: Disable Java, not JavaScript. The two are completely different.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for replying. I was mainly concerned that java can be a way those sites can infect macs. Do you think 10.8.2 and java 6 might be vulnerable. The article was written in the 10.6 OSX days. Also, how can I check?

HOW DO I DISABLE JAVA without uninstalling it?
Disable Java in your browser. (For Safari users, uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.) (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.