Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
*If this is the wrong section, please move it so I can obtain advice/input faster.*

Hello,

I just recently ordered a MacBook Pro (YAY :D). It will be coming in soon, and I'd like to figure out a few things in the meantime.

I want to be able to run Windows for various reasons (certain programs that are Windows only, games, etc.). In some situations, I'd like to run it while I'm running OSX (like say if I needed to run a Windows only app while using my Mac). I know that both VMware Fusion and Parallels can do this. However, in other situations I'll want to run Windows natively with NOTHING else (meaning, I'll want to boot directly into Windows via Bootcamp).

So this brings us to my question:
Is it possible to run Windows via Bootcamp AND a VMware/Parallels? Obviously, not both at the same time. But one day I might boot directly into Windows, the other day I'd like to use Windows via VMware/Parallels while on OSX. The key here is that when using VMware/Parallels, is that it will use the same partitioned drive that Windows via Bootcamp will use (that way I can basically access the Windows data and use the "same" Windows from either Bootcamp or VMware/Parallels, depending on which I need to do per situation).

I'd *prefer* to stick with VMware as I've used them in the past and personally know others that have, too (unless of course VMware can't do what I'm requesting and maybe Parallels can?).

On a side note, I still have my old copy of VMware Fusion 2 (in a Retail Box w/ CD). Would it be unwise to use this until I can get my hands on VMware Fusion 5 (the latest edition)? Is it possible to upgrade from 2 to 5 if, say, I already had Windows set on it?

Your help is appreciated :)

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
VMWare Fusion does what you're asking, see this link for verification: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014618

The oldest version that you can upgrade from is three. You can, however, download a trial of version 5 before you purchase it.

500th post, finally.

Perfect. I didn't know what to search because I didn't really know what I was searching for LOL. But this helps tremendously (bookmarked it for later) :)

Congrats on your 500th post! :D

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Perfect. I didn't know what to search because I didn't really know what I was searching for LOL. But this helps tremendously (bookmarked it for later) :)

Congrats on your 500th post! :D

Glad to have helped! Thanks!

FWIW, VMWare Fusion is by far my favorite virtualization system for the Mac. I have a lot of experience with their enterprise solutions, and I have found Fusion to be trouble-free and cohesive.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Quick question:

If I install Windows 7 on bootcamp, and then use VMware Fusion 5 to access the Windows 7 bootcamp partition, would I need two licenses of Windows 7? Or would that ONLY be if I were to install Windows 7 on bootcamp and another copy on VMware *separately*?

Because I've found the cheapest copies of Windows 7 are OEM ones (I like to save money), and I don't want to run into problems where I'll have to buy a second copy.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Nope, you only need one license to use Boot Camp and Fusion together.

Either way you wouldn't qualify to use an OEM copy (nothing stopping you, however).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.