Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:22 AM   #1
Life,Death,Tech
macrumors newbie

Arrow Finally! - How to Automatically Right Size Columns Individually in Finder

How to Automatically 'Right Size All Columns Individually' in Finder

This feature is still missing from OS X after all these years, but is finally possible thanks to the free app XtraFinder.

Finder>XtraFinder>Preferences>Features>"Automatically adjust width of Name column"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 1.18.04 AM.png
Views:	1647
Size:	947.3 KB
ID:	388523  

Last edited by Life,Death,Tech; Jan 7, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Life,Death,Tech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:27 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Dammit.

Required:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.8.2

I'm on 10.5.8
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

I don't get the problem. What does this fix?

Columns are, by default, sized individually.
Use <alt> and drag to get all columns the same size.
Double-click on the column control to make it fit the contents.
benwiggy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Life,Death,Tech
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post

The problem with OS X is that it does not automatically adjust the width of the columns. This app is for people who don't want to have to double-click the column control every single time they want to see the full file name in a new finder window. XtraFinder adjusts column width on the fly every time you navigate to a new folder.

This isn't for everyone, but it solves one of the biggest pet peeves I have with OS X.
Life,Death,Tech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Good god! So easy. Why did I never know this?

Thanks for the cool tip of the day!!
noisycats is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Risco
macrumors 65816

XtraFinder is such a good app, and it is free.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:45 PM   #7
MagnusVonMagnum
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
XtraFinder is such a good app, and it is free.
I hard a hard time finding it. I kept searching for Finder enhancements and dual-pane, etc. and I kept finding commercial/shareware ones that cost over $40 in some cases. I don't mind paying for a good program, but $40 is out of line just to get dual-panes, which is all I really wanted at the time. I didn't think I'd care for tabs in Finder, but it's really pretty darn nice, after all. I didn't even see a donation-ware request on this guy's site. I'd gladly kick in $10 for this thing just to encourage maintenance updates to ensure it keeps working with newer OSX updates. I don't know why Apple has never offered tabs or dual-pane with Finder to begin with. All these OSX updates and Finder pretty much still sucks....

The only option I had a problem with in XtraFinder is the color icons option. They look great (I hate the black&white sterile thing Apple switched to with iTunes awhile back and I'm glad to see at least iTunes 11 with its other quibbles at least brought color back). But Mountain Lion is still grey in many areas. The problem here is that Finder slows to a crawl with it turned on (it'll lag and then give a spinning beach ball for several seconds when I do anything; I turn color icons off and it runs full speed with no issues even with loads of other options turned on in XtraFinder).
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
I hard a hard time finding it. I kept searching for Finder enhancements and dual-pane, etc. and I kept finding commercial/shareware ones that cost over $40 in some cases. I don't mind paying for a good program, but $40 is out of line just to get dual-panes, which is all I really wanted at the time. I didn't think I'd care for tabs in Finder, but it's really pretty darn nice, after all. I didn't even see a donation-ware request on this guy's site. I'd gladly kick in $10 for this thing just to encourage maintenance updates to ensure it keeps working with newer OSX updates. I don't know why Apple has never offered tabs or dual-pane with Finder to begin with. All these OSX updates and Finder pretty much still sucks....

The only option I had a problem with in XtraFinder is the color icons option. They look great (I hate the black&white sterile thing Apple switched to with iTunes awhile back and I'm glad to see at least iTunes 11 with its other quibbles at least brought color back). But Mountain Lion is still grey in many areas. The problem here is that Finder slows to a crawl with it turned on (it'll lag and then give a spinning beach ball for several seconds when I do anything; I turn color icons off and it runs full speed with no issues even with loads of other options turned on in XtraFinder).

Well he does bring out updates on a very regular basis, in fact today was when he brought out a new one. I have never contacted him, he does however seem to notice bugs and squash them very quickly. I would give him an email, as I don't use colour icons tbh.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
MagnusVonMagnum
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Well he does bring out updates on a very regular basis, in fact today was when he brought out a new one. I have never contacted him, he does however seem to notice bugs and squash them very quickly. I would give him an email, as I don't use colour icons tbh.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I updated and even though it didn't mention it fixed that specific problem (it said it fixed numerous bugs or something to that effect), it does appear to have fixed it. I turned color side-bar icons on and no more delays so far.

Now if only someone had a fix for full-screen apps that take over the other display in dual-monitor mode....
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 03:08 AM   #10
carolined
macrumors newbie

Quote:

This does not work on my macbook, this double clicking on the column control. If I do that the width goes back to a standard value which is too small. I am on OSX 10.8.3
I must add to this, that the column-click 'sometimes' works, but it is absolutely unpredictable when and when not.

This holds the same for the situation with shutdown. I have "reopen windows.." NOT ticked, I want all windows to close and each day start clean when I start up, but arbitrarily my windows will automatically be reloaded.
carolined is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Che Castro
macrumors 601

How do you get the 3 options that are in the picture ?

Right size column individually
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Severisth
macrumors newbie

XtraFinder works beautifully. Thank you!
Severisth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:20 AM   #13
DurfDiggler
macrumors newbie

"Finally!" is right

I only wish I hadn't stopped (paused) my search for this feature for so long! I've been waiting for it to be built into Finder for a decade. I wish I knew how to have done this. Good thing there are much smarter people out there than me! The only thing missing from this app & the owner's site is a DONATE button!
DurfDiggler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:11 AM   #14
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020

I haven't tried XtraFinder...does it have to be running all the time to fix the window problem?

I've been using the script I found here. I created an application from the script (called it "Fix Window") and put it in the finder window toolbar. One click and the window columns sort out.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 03:14 PM   #15
DurfDiggler
macrumors newbie

It does have to be running, but the app doesn't live in the dock, you can even remove it from the menu bar. You can then access it by having finder the active application, then click Finder from the menu bar, Xtra is at the bottom of that drop down menu.

Once you select the option to "fix window" you never have to click anything again. It just works. For each column, each instance.

I did not see an option to "run on system startup" but if it doesn't, one could easily add it to their login items in System Preferences.

This and so much more, including action key modifiers. It's free, give it a try!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How do you get the 3 options that are in the picture ?

Right size column individually
Che, as far as I know, that is a "feature" of Mavericks.
I think the OP is just demonstrating that XtraFinder does that for you automatically.
DurfDiggler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:29 PM   #16
fartheststar
macrumors 6502a

Totalfinder

Totalfinder has it also. No matter which way you 'get it to happen' (xtrafinder, etc), it's so great.
Old May 11, 2014, 02:42 PM   #17
dwmusic
macrumors newbie

thank you!

Xtra Finder is superb - fixes all the horrible misfeatures forced on me by Lion OS, by Apple who think they know what I want better than I know myself.

Too good for words.
dwmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
automatically, columns, individually, right-size, size