Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:33 PM   #1
TSE
macrumors 68030

What do you guys think of my industrial design portfolio?

I just want to get some critiques/suggestions from designers or outsiders looking in!

Anyone wanna offer me an internship this summer?

My Portfolio

Last edited by TSE; Mar 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
TSE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

to me it looks too much like a social media page and not enough like a designer's portfolio
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:26 PM   #3
parajba
macrumors regular

Casmir,

Well done. Pure quality. I'm sure you will have no issues whatsoever in finding the right internship.

I'm no expert but I'm totally impressed by the level of details and how professional the whole lot looks like. Much better than many established companies out there!

Just wanted to give you my brutally honest 2 cents...
parajba is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:03 PM   #4
MonksMac
macrumors 6502a

Very nicely done. Smart concepts, and your layouts are clean and easy to read.

Makes me wish I was more of an art director than a copywriter sometimes!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

Nice but durability of cork is horrible for bottle use.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:12 PM   #6
RRigs
macrumors newbie

Looks good to me. As said earlier, the layouts are easy to clean and read. One of the advantages of being in an industrial design firm like Spark Innovations at Toronto is that you get to see many designing talents. And have seen all that I have to tell you that you have done really well. I wish you all the best.
RRigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 01:44 PM   #7
DFZD
macrumors regular

Although its an amazing concept, and you don't lack presentation skills either, the corner close to 001 is going to hurt someone real bad.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:49 AM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
I just want to get some critiques/suggestions from designers or outsiders looking in!

Anyone wanna offer me an internship this summer?

My Portfolio
Did someone actually build a bicycle out of square steel tube and wood? If so this is horrible case of design over function. There is a good reason "everyone" uses the materials they do. Bicycle need to have much better strength to weight ratio. Have you ever had to MAINTAIN wood that is left outdoors? See what that wood looks like after a year outdoors in the sun and rain. It will need to be striped, sanded and re-varnished twice a year.

What next a car made of bricks with grass on the roof? Or shoes made of cast concrete? The #1 goal of a design is the product has to perform it's intended function well, only then do you worry about what it looks like.
ChrisA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 01:28 PM   #9
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Did someone actually build a bicycle out of square steel tube and wood? If so this is horrible case of design over function. There is a good reason "everyone" uses the materials they do. Bicycle need to have much better strength to weight ratio. Have you ever had to MAINTAIN wood that is left outdoors? See what that wood looks like after a year outdoors in the sun and rain. It will need to be striped, sanded and re-varnished twice a year.

What next a car made of bricks with grass on the roof? Or shoes made of cast concrete? The #1 goal of a design is the product has to perform it's intended function well, only then do you worry about what it looks like.
I see the point, and understand. It was a one semester project where over half of it was dedicated towards research. It was a concept bike and not considered anywhere near completion. This was the first semester of kicking off the bike share system and each group (there were three) had the task of introducing ideas that could make their bike share system unique. Ours was centered around localization of materials and manufacturing. The easiest way we saw manufacturing a bike using local materials was black locust and steel, essentially CNCed and "sandwiched" together.

We actually saw a rare opportunity to introduce wood into our bike because black locust has such unique characteristics... It's incredibly strong and it's rot resistance is through the roof... Farmers even today make black locust fences because they can stand out there in some cases 100+ years with little maintenance. We probably wouldn't have chosen to use wood if we weren't presented with such a unique wood.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Ulenspiegel
macrumors 6502a

Congrats!
I really like the Tea Bottle.
(and btw there extremely durable corks nowdays).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:03 AM   #11
davedev100
macrumors newbie

I think it is a good looking portfolio. I am not in the ID industry at all so I don't know the standards, but from a general presentation stand point you might consider making your static presentations into video's with voice over. Just use the graphics you have, add transitions and voice over and you'd have something that is pretty dynamic and less work for the viewer, better communicating your points.
davedev100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:37 AM   #12
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

I don't know anything about industrial design, but your projects look pretty detailed and great.

As for the website, I would recommend hosting it on something other than Behance, which is sort of busy, cluttered, and not very professional looking imo. Cargo Collective is an ideal platform for creative portfolios. It's invitation only, but PM me and I can send you an invite if you want.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:21 AM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

When a $4000 wood bicycle with similar design weights 35 pounds, you might want to rethink the material choice.

If a high end product can't get its weight down, can a more budget friendly version be lighter?

Screenshot of slide 2
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140...tiful-bicycles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.png
Views:	11
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	542878  
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics