Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
johnchart
macrumors member

Apple passwords

Can someone please tell me exactly how many passwords the whole Apple system, including iCloud, has. Having bad time keeping track of them. Almost seems like they change by by themselves. What I am looking for is ONE PASSWORD FOR EVERYTHING APPLE, including apps, store, forums, etc., etc.
When I try to change things to one password, get all kinds of error messages.
Also, would like to get ONE APPLE ID for everything.

Thanks for help.

John H.
johnchart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What kind of error messages do you get when changing a password where exactly?

What about a password manager?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
leerichards1
macrumors regular

I have one Apple ID and one password which I use for :

Apple Support Site
iTunes Match
iTunes Store
iCloud
Find my Friends
Find iPhone
App store
Home Sharing

Isn't this how it's supposed to work?
leerichards1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
TrboMac
macrumors regular

Yeah, this was confusing for me when making the switch to Mac. You have a general password for your computer as admin, then the Apple ID for iTunes, App store, iCloud, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
johnchart
macrumors member

The problem I have is when I try to create a universal password I get message "the password has been used before". I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD NEEDED WHEN REBOOTING, ETC. BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT FOR UNIVERSAL PASSWORD I GET ERROR "THIS PASSWORD HAS BEEN USED BEFORE CHOOSE ANOTHER". When trying to change password in apps i get error message "password must contain at least one letter". The password I was trying to use had 8 letters in it. Frustrating!
johnchart is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
bdbolin
macrumors newbie

Really? You can't remember one Apple ID password and one computer login password?

You realize there is an app called 1Password which stores all your passwords so that you don't need to remember them all... also has auto login for website passwords.

Last edited by stridemat; Jan 7, 2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Removed trolling
bdbolin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchart View Post
The problem I have is when I try to create a universal password I get message "the password has been used before". I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD NEEDED WHEN REBOOTING, ETC. BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT FOR UNIVERSAL PASSWORD I GET ERROR "THIS PASSWORD HAS BEEN USED BEFORE CHOOSE ANOTHER". When trying to change password in apps i get error message "password must contain at least one letter". The password I was trying to use had 8 letters in it. Frustrating!
That sounds like a problem unrelated to Apple.

You have _one_ password for your Mac; more precisely one password per Mac user (you wouldn't want to give your password to other users of the Mac, so they have different passwords). The Mac lets you reuse passwords, doesn't care how safe they are (but it displays how safe it is when you create a new one).

Next, you have _one_ password for your Apple ID. And you really, really should have only one Apple ID, because that is what holds all the Apple related things that belong to you together.

Of course applications, websites and so on can ask you to create passwords as well, and there is nothing that Apple could do about it.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchart View Post
Well then quite clearly you have used it before. Not too sure what you can't understand. You have password X on your computer, password Y on your Apple ID, but have used password X previously on your Apple ID. You therefore cannot re-use password X on your Apple ID.

And if you have multiple Apple IDs, that's your own fault for creating more than one.
Brian Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac