Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
sixxmum
macrumors 6502

How has your luck been getting the 2/3/4 type cases to fit the 4?

It is odd to me that there are so many case manufacturers who are selling the same unit for all three models, even though the dimensions shifted between 2 and 3.

I haven't been able to get my 4 to fit into a Ridge case that is supposed to fit all three. I guess it's possible that I have a defective iPad, but it seems more likely that it's a case issue. Of the cases that I'm interested in, I've seen reviews on all of them that mention the 4 not fitting properly, but then others that say it does.

What are your experiences?

Last edited by sixxmum; Jan 7, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
sixxmum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:51 AM   #2
mcdj
macrumors 604

I had a Joy Factory Smart Suit on my 3. It kinda fits my 4, but not as well. The lid doesn't quite reach the edge of the case when closed, resulting in a mushy feeling to the cover as it slides around on the screen. This leads me to think there is a slight difference in either thickness or perhaps curvature.

What does fit the 4 very well however, is the Apple Smart case. As much as I thought I wouldn't like having a lip around the screen, or the sharpish edges, I really like this case.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
kaylerrific
macrumors regular

I have a Caudabe Shell for my new ipad 4 and it fits perfectly on my husband's ipad 3. I think the ipad 2 is a little bit thinner. I'll try it out when we go to my mom's later this weekend.
kaylerrific is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
sixxmum
macrumors 6502

I *think* that the 3 and 4 are the same, but the 2 isn't. I had to have my 4 replaced today, so now it doesn't have any skins on it. It still does not fit on the Devicewear Ridge that I used for the 2 (won't snap in). It fits in the CaseCrown Standby that I got for the 2, but the on/off magnets don't work for the 4. I guess this is my excuse for a new case, I just have to find one that will actually fit.
sixxmum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxmum View Post
I *think* that the 3 and 4 are the same, but the 2 isn't. .
This is 100% correct....
glen e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
imlovinit
macrumors regular

I was able to get an incipio back case for 2 on my 3. Might of been a little difficult to get on at first but once on its been a good fit and sturdy still.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
aslnschld
macrumors newbie

The Griffin Survivor I have is supposedly made for all, and it was a little hard to get on and off, but I suppose that is what you want in that style of case. My only issue related to fit with it was that the screen protector wasn't against the screen near the edges, so you really had to press for the ipad to recognize touches out there.

I am currently using a Bear Motion case that is for all three and it fits ok, but the leather around the bezel is a little raised as if it is stretching to fit and stay on. It isn't a huge concern,but you can tell it was designed for the 2.
aslnschld is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories