Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
nosnhojm
macrumors member

Changing an existing iMac order

If I call Apple to update an existing iMac order, will it reset me to the back of the queue?

I'm still debating the 680mx (right now I have the 675mx on order). Is there really that much performance gain? What is the frame rate difference (e.g., when playing WoW, CS, or something else)?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
iWaiting

yes
iWaiting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
nosnhojm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWaiting View Post
yes
Yes to what?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
iWaiting

or should i have said yes yes
iWaiting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm View Post
Yes to what?
Yes, it will set you back to the back of the line.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
lilface
macrumors member

I'm having the same dilemma about calling to change something on my order, I think I'd rather just be happy with what I've already ordered than to be pushed all the way back in the queue lol
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #7
laryenhilllvr
macrumors regular

Quote:
If I call Apple to update an existing iMac order, will it reset me to the back of the queue?

I'm still debating the 680mx (right now I have the 675mx on order). Is there really that much performance gain? What is the frame rate difference (e.g., when playing WoW, CS, or something else)?
i think that may be a yes to both. everyone says the 680mx is definitely better than the 675, but unless you are a gamer or do 3d rendering it may not be that noticeable (if i remember correctly).

regarding the reque part...umm i can't say. i've read some that have called and been assured their order would not reque while others swear theirs did because orders that were placed after them have shipped off before them. idk...but depending on when you placed your order it is a risk i would take.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

If you want to play modern, demanding games, then definately go for the 680MX. There is a big difference in FPS, check out the 680MX benchmarks thread for more specific examples. However, you can't simply "change" your order. You will in reality make a new order, so you are going to wait a bit longer before receiving your iMac
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

yes and yes

there is a big difference but only if u are a gamer or video rendering
680mx all the way for me its a deal
Towelie1288 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
nosnhojm
macrumors member

I didn't plan to use it for gaming (mainly for Lightroom), so I ordered the 675mx; however, I may want to play a casual game once in a while (like Guild Wars 2). I don't expect to be able to play a modern FPS at 60+ fps.

My hope is to buy a steambox for "big picture" gaming, whenever those come out.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
messiry
macrumors member

Quote:
I didn't plan to use it for gaming (mainly for Lightroom), so I ordered the 675mx; however, I may want to play a casual game once in a while (like Guild Wars 2). I don't expect to be able to play a modern FPS at 60+ fps.

I initially ordered i7 and 675MX on 31st Dec and then i changed my order to i5 + 680MX.. here what apple told me
1- if i needed to upgrade only the GPU form 675 to 680 then there is price increase, means they need to cancel the order and make new order, since this is violating their contract with you once you placed the order.
2- when i changed to i5 and 680MX however the price went down, then they only changed the order and i didn't lose my queue position (on the order page still showing 31st Dec), since my iMac is not yet in production and still on waiting list, i can change the specs as long as the price is not going above the initial amount.. seems fair to me

HTH
messiry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Beardy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiry View Post
I initially ordered i7 and 675MX on 31st Dec and then i changed my order to i5 + 680MX.. here what apple told me
1- if i needed to upgrade only the GPU form 675 to 680 then there is price increase, means they need to cancel the order and make new order, since this is violating their contract with you once you placed the order.
2- when i changed to i5 and 680MX however the price went down, then they only changed the order and i didn't lose my queue position (on the order page still showing 31st Dec), since my iMac is not yet in production and still on waiting list, i can change the specs as long as the price is not going above the initial amount.. seems fair to me

HTH
That is what I was told to. If the change in spec involves an increase in cost they have to cancel the order.
Beardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:

When in doubt always max out your order for future use. If you're more worried about your order being pushed back vs. getting something better than the upgrade isn't worth it to you.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac