Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
England

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 16.11.42.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 16.11.42.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 1,704

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I found this:

System requirements | Photoshop

Photoshop CS2 system requirements
Mac OS
PowerPC® G3, G4, or G5 processor
Mac OS X v.10.2.8 through v.10.3.8 (10.3.4 through 10.3.8 recommended)
320 MB of RAM (384 MB recommended)
750 MB of available hard-disk space
1,024 x 768 monitor resolution with 16-bit graphics adapter
CD-ROM drive
Internet or phone connection required for product activation

So, it seems it's PPC only.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree with the prior assessment - CS2 is way too old to try to install it one the rMBP.

Apple has changed a lot of the innards of OSX since CS2 was the premier version, particularly with support being dropped for PPC programs (which occurred in a prior version of OSX).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It can run through Rosetta, meaning if your machine can use Snow Leopard, it might work. CS2 is actually a pretty decent release for older hardware. It can't efficiently use a lot of memory, so for anyone doing that I'd go 4GB + ssd, maybe 8 if you keep a lot open in the background. CS3 was the first that ran properly on Intel. I don't think it installs well on Lion or Mountain Lion either. It seems like it works for some who have upgraded from older versions of OSX with it already installed.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I don't know which rMBP NikkiJayne has but the oldest OS supported by any retina is 10.7.4 (Lion).

We only have one generation of retina macbook pros with 13" and 15" models. I'm not sure if Snow Leopard works on them, but CS2 was definitely PowerPC era code. It wasn't compiled as a universal binary or for X86 under OSX. Doh just noted NikkiJayne is the OP. I'm getting over a nasty cold, so my posts contain more mistakes. Anyway here's a blog post from Adobe around that time. From that page...

Now, I’m an engineer, and I’m all for getting products out in front of customers so they can use their machines to their fullest as soon as possible, but there is just no way putting out a Universal Binary of Photoshop CS2 would make any sort of sense. If you think about switching tool sets, with the resulting huge amount of work for both engineering and quality engineering, if you think about how far past the Photoshop CS2 release we already are, and if you include not having the workstation-class machines ready yet, I think you’d have to agree – far better to focus on making sure Photoshop CS3 is able to absolutely squeeze every ounce of power out of what I’m sure will be pretty spankin’ Intel-based towers by that point than to do tons of work moving an old code base to new tools.

Note larger images were painful without a mac pro at that time. It's also a 32 bit application, so an ssd is advisable. It relies more on scratch disks than ram. This might be easier to use on Windows. It might work under Windows 7.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.