Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chrome for iOS Updated with Improved Google App Interoperability, Fullscreen iPad Support




Google has updated its Chrome app to version 28, adding improved "interoperability with other Google Apps," which means links to YouTube, Maps, Google+, and Drive can now be opened in their respective apps rather than in the browser. According to Google, additional app integration will be added in the near future.

With version 28 of Chrome, Google introduces a new feature that is designed to speed up page load times and reduce overall data usage, which is being sent out to users on a rolling basis.

The update also includes improvements to voice search, fullscreen capabilities on the iPad, access to browser history, and bug fixes.
Quote:
What's New in Version 28.0.1500.12
- Interoperability with other Google Apps. Option to open links for YouTube, Maps, G+ and Drive in the app instead of the browser.
- Enhancements to voice search. Text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean. Toolbar controls are always available when using voice search.
- Fullscreen on iPad.
- Data cost savings: Reduce data usage and speed up page load times. View data savings in Bandwidth Management settings. This feature is being rolled out and will be available to all users over time.
- Access to browser history.
- Stability / security improvements and bug fixes.
Chrome is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Updated with Improved Google App Interoperability, Fullscreen iPad Support
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
GSPice
macrumors 68000
 
GSPice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
If I use Google products, I'd still like true integration with iOS, i.e. clicking on a google map link in Safari opening Apple Maps, instead of webapp.
__________________
15" Haswell rMBP 2.3/16/512/750m | 24" iMac 3.06/500/4/8800 | Mac OS X 10.9.2
AEBS MC340LL/A | APC RS 800VA/XS 1000 | iPhone 5 16GB 7.1 | iPad 16GB LTE 7.1 | Apple TV 2
GSPice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
lcmazza
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
I was really waiting for this one.

Seems Chrome has some bug fixes for iOS7 too.
lcmazza is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
If only I could set this to my default browser...
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #5
kirky29
macrumors 65816
 
kirky29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincolnshire, England
Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Still no bookmark bar for the iPad! Why haven't they/won't they add it?!
__________________
27" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 2011, iPhone 5 16GB - iPad 1/2/3/Mini - 24" Cinema Display,
Apple Magic Mouse, Trackpad, Time Machine, Apple TV,
| Check out my flickr |
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
mudman2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
google = badges
mudman2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Fresh1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
How about that official Music All Access app we're waiting for?
Fresh1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
joejoejoe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
how bout improved icon?

nope.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:58 PM   #9
w0lf
macrumors 6502a
 
w0lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
If only I could set this to my default browser...
Yeah, so lame. At least you can with a jailbreak
w0lf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:12 PM   #10
.Asa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS - imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.
__________________
.Asa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Trik
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS - imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.
They make 95% of their revenue from advertising. Apple does not. They offer these apps to iOS to monetize the users there, they aren't benevolent.
Trik is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
how bout improved icon?

nope.
What needs to be improved?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:15 PM   #13
macs4nw
macrumors 68000
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS.....
GOOGLE is not doing this just to be nice guys; there is a huge financial consideration for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
.....imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.
And remove the incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware? After all, APPLE is more into hardware than GOOGLE is.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:52 PM   #14
joejoejoe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
What needs to be improved?
it's a petty comment but the chrome and drive icons don't match the cleanliness of the standard google app and google maps for example. they just took their standard icons and slapped them on black backgrounds with a gradient instead of actually designing something that fits the look/shape of the icon.

it's just lazy designing on their part and leaves me a bit miffed.
joejoejoe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
GOOGLE is not doing this just to be nice guys; there is a huge financial consideration for them.



And remove the incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware? After all, APPLE is more into hardware than GOOGLE is.
how about for the convince of users? iCloud is hardly a incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware....

Again, there will be loads of people will buy APPLE hardware regardless, so you don't have to worry about APPLE not selling its hardware.

P.S. APPLE is more software than a hardware company, it just happened to be APPLE wants integration with software and hardware. So they make hardware runs its software. I would see, APPLE in core is the software company.
__________________
MacBook Air 2012, Mac Mini 2011, iPad Mini and iPad 3. Nexus 4 is my new phone.
Nanasaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:49 PM   #16
jdogg836
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaki View Post
how about for the convince of users? iCloud is hardly a incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware....

Again, there will be loads of people will buy APPLE hardware regardless, so you don't have to worry about APPLE not selling its hardware.

P.S. APPLE is more software than a hardware company, it just happened to be APPLE wants integration with software and hardware. So they make hardware runs its software. I would see, APPLE in core is the software company.
I would disagree. Apple is a "complete solution" company. They design the software, and in turn control and design the hardware to make sure their software runs perfectly. You can't have one without the other in Apple's case. My friend has a Hackintosh that while it is identical in hardware capabilities to a macbook, it definitely has some minor annoyances.
jdogg836 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #17
John.B
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Google has updated its Chrome app to version 28, adding improved "interoperability with other Google Apps," which means links to YouTube, Maps, Google+, and Drive can now be opened in their respective apps rather than in the browser.
So it opens links with the apps Eric Schmidt wants you to use, with support for other apps "later". Insert your own "Google is open!" joke here.
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
So it opens links with the apps Eric Schmidt wants you to use, with support for other apps "later". Insert your own "Google is open!" joke here.
You can easily leave them to open in browser, as is the default case. That's still more options/control than Apple's app provide.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:33 PM   #19
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg836 View Post
I would disagree. Apple is a "complete solution" company. They design the software, and in turn control and design the hardware to make sure their software runs perfectly. You can't have one without the other in Apple's case. My friend has a Hackintosh that while it is identical in hardware capabilities to a macbook, it definitely has some minor annoyances.
Well, yes. But if you look at Apple's product line, Apple is more focus on software side than hardware. That's why I said, Apple is designing the hardware for the software.

And for Hackintosh. I have Hackintosh as well, it runs perfectly smooth without any problem. I can get my Hackintosh boot correctly just like my MacBook Air and Mac Mini would. Yes, Hackintosh maybe has more issue than real Mac, but for the price advantage and raw power compare with real Mac, I think Hackintosh is worth the trouble.
__________________
MacBook Air 2012, Mac Mini 2011, iPad Mini and iPad 3. Nexus 4 is my new phone.
Nanasaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #20
iSamurai
macrumors 65816
 
iSamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsıɹq
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
it's a petty comment but the chrome and drive icons don't match the cleanliness of the standard google app and google maps for example. they just took their standard icons and slapped them on black backgrounds with a gradient instead of actually designing something that fits the look/shape of the icon.

it's just lazy designing on their part and leaves me a bit miffed.
And what is your opinion on the new safari icon?
__________________
iSamurai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:27 AM   #21
antonis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Good luck witch catching up with Safari in iOS 7.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:56 AM   #22
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a
 
GoodWatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trik View Post
They make 95% of their revenue from advertising. Apple does not. They offer these apps to iOS to monetize the users there, they aren't benevolent.
Google are the new MS. The next 'Evil Empire' (At least, that seems the opinion of many on MacRumors...). But it's a tie between them and $amsung of course .
__________________
Too late, my time has come
Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #23
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
GOOGLE is not doing this just to be nice guys; there is a huge financial consideration for them.



And remove the incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware? After all, APPLE is more into hardware than GOOGLE is.
I don't think anyone is saying Google has altruistic motivations. Every company's business decisions have huge financial considerations. Google wants to make more money by reaching more people. Name one company that doesn't.

Remove incentive? I could be wrong, but cross platforming iTunes was genius and didn't remove any incentive to buy Apple hardware. I would say it brought more people to Apple. In the most crass example I can think of, it's like a drug dealer. Give 'em a taste and they come back for more.
__________________
I'm a big fan of good tech. I don't really care who makes it.
FirstNTenderbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:18 AM   #24
MrGuder
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Wow, a major Chrome iOS update and this thread is still on page 1?

This tells me most are still using Safari.
MrGuder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #25
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
The performance sucks on the iPad 4. Clunkier than Safari.

Pretty good on my iPhone 5. Nicely featured, solid performance.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC