Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:45 PM   #26
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd try to live with it. It's far too easy to concentrate on bad things (human nature, sadly), but try to think about it positively. It could have been a lot worse (cracked screen) and it's purely cosmetic damage, not functional.

I use my iPhone caseless and I'm actually enjoying it slowly get more and more worn; I think that the slate wearing away on the edges looks badass. You just jumped a bit further down that road to an awesomely-weathered iPhone.

Definitely not worth the money to get it replaced.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:48 PM   #27
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Why he didn't have it in some case baffles me.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #28
xMClass
macrumors 6502

Was expecting a shattered screen. Learn to live with it, it doesn't look too bad.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:07 PM   #29
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Me too. If you don't care about it being beat up and scratched a bit then don't use a case. But if you are paranoid about a scratch then why not use a case? At least get a bumper, Applecare+, or something!

You can't have it both ways. Drops will happen from time to time. You can't avoid it.
Givmeabrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:08 PM   #30
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

So you dropped a phone made of a soft metal, against something as hard as concrete and somehow Apple is at fault???

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #31
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Thats not too bad. Just wait for an issue with the home button or battery and when they replace it you'll have a mint iphone again.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:18 PM   #32
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Lol. Blane yourself not Apple. What kind of tool expects a phone to be harmless when dropping it on concrete. Next time be more careful.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:46 PM   #33
bradPiano
macrumors member

I just picked up an iPhone 5 in black yesterday. After seeing the scratched up and dinged in store models, I was surprised at how upset users were about these issues.

Just grabbing some AppleCare+ is enough for piece of mind barring any catastrophic incidents. The phone is so lightweight and attractive on it's own, slapping a case on it seems to run counter to enjoying the phone for what it is, physically. The wear and tear of the device gives each phone a unique quality and actually improves the visual appeal to me, especially on the black and slate model, so in a way those life marks become case-like, in terms of personalization.
bradPiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:02 PM   #34
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Yeah **** that guy who invented concrete! That *******!
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #35
silversin
macrumors member

Well I canceled my appointment, screw it, it's not worth it. Bought this, should be enough:
http://www.elementcase.com/Sector-5-...-1020-xxxx.htm
silversin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:23 PM   #36
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

I'm a little confused, if you buy a car and then run it into a tree do you get pissed at Subaru for making a car that's easy to damage, or do you take personal responsibility into account?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:25 PM   #37
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Rule number 1, concrete always wins.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:27 PM   #38
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what is the point of these "I dropped my iPhone 5 threads"
I've come to the conclusion that they come out moments after the drop and the person just needs to be told that everything will be OKAY lol. Nothing like a little internet morale boost.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:59 PM   #39
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

That super soft aluminum is real easy to dent.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:26 PM   #40
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

I was pretty pissed off when i dropped my iphone 5. I didn't even drop mine onto concrete. I threw my phone onto the bed and it slid off, hitting the bed frame on its way onto the carpet. I have a nice fat dent right in front of my power button.

I got over it after about 1 day of cursing. This was a replacement phone i got for my launch day one. That one slid out of my pocket as i was getting out of the car. That one suffered only minor scratches. I had to get it replaced for other issues.

The funny thing is, all of my other iphones i used cases, and never dropped them. This time around, i said why use a case? i never drop my phone. And i swear i've been butterfingers with it.

My dent is bad enough to where it slightly affected the power button. it still works, but it doesn't stick up as much as it used to.

Either way, i got used to it. And i'll be damned if i'm going to pay even more money for something that will probably suffer some more damage along the way.

I did take it to the apple store and gave a shot at them replacing it. The guy asked me, Is the phone giving you any troubles?" I said no not really.
He said "are you sure?". I was said, yeah its just dented.
He's like "im sorry, i'd have to charge you a replacement fee".

I kind of knew where he was going, but i felt bad about lying. I didn't want to use any of my Karma points for a stupid phone.

Anyways, don't worry about it OP. You'll forget about it. That case is pretty awesome. I'd definitely rather spend the coin on that instead.
aphexacid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:32 PM   #41
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood23 View Post
Yes it does. Throw it in a case and you will forget all about it!
That is what I would do.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:11 PM   #42
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
You and me both.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
I didn't want to use any of my Karma points for a stupid phone.
Karma Points? That's good stuff right there. I commend you for your honesty. Though that must have been an awfully awkward conversation.

Genius: Is there anything giving you trouble?

aphexacid: Not really.

Genius: You sure?

aphexacid: Yeah.

Genius: Have a nice day.

Sounds like a productive trip to the Apple Store.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:16 PM   #43
iJustin63
macrumors newbie

I feel you. I have some similar dents from dropping my iPhone. And everyone else, c'mon give the man some slack. He's upset over damaging his phone, and he has every right to be.
iJustin63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:23 PM   #44
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You and me both.

----------

Karma Points? That's good stuff right there. I commend you for your honesty. Though that must have been an awfully awkward conversation.

Genius: Is there anything giving you trouble?

aphexacid: Not really.

Genius: You sure?

aphexacid: Yeah.

Genius: Have a nice day.

Sounds like a productive trip to the Apple Store.

LOL well i left a bit out.

I went in and all i wanted to ask them was if they could take off the screen and kind of pound out the dent so my home button would have the same feel as before.

He said thats they don't do that, they only replace. So i asked, i don't suppose you guys would like to do a courtesy replacement

Then he says, did you buy apple care? I said nope. Then he's asks, Is there anything wrong with the phone? And i said there isn't other that the nasty dent and the lack luster power button performance cause by the dent.

He sort of lifted an eyebrow and asks, YOU SURE theres nothing wrong with it?

At that point, i knew what was happening heh.

Yes, Karma points
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:26 PM   #45
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
LOL well i left a bit out.

I went in and all i wanted to ask them was if they could take off the screen and kind of pound out the dent so my home button would have the same feel as before.

He said thats they don't do that, they only replace. So i asked, i don't suppose you guys would like to do a courtesy replacement

Then he says, did you buy apple care? I said nope. Then he's asks, Is there anything wrong with the phone? And i said there isn't other that the nasty dent and the lack luster power button performance cause by the dent.

He sort of lifted an eyebrow and asks, YOU SURE theres nothing wrong with it?

At that point, i knew what was happening heh.

Yes, Karma points
Honestly, if he was trying to coax you into coming up with an excuse to replace the device free of charge, I would have taken him up on that. No Karma Points needed to be spent there. It was his idea. It's all in the eyebrows.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #46
theonekcrow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie604 View Post
Could be way worse... At least the screen didn't shatter.
I completely agree with this post. Sure it may be a little uncomfortable to look at, but does it affect how the device works, probably not. If it really bothers you, get a case to cover it up and prevent further damage.
theonekcrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #47
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

There are more important things in life.

I'm not out to scam anyone whether its a fellow human, or big corporation.

I believe what you put out in the universe, comes back to you.

How about if this guy loses his job over my phone? Thats terrible, and i don't want to be the cause of that.

You may think it was a stupid decision, but if i had to lie to get a phone fixed, thats not what i'm about. Maybe you are.

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 8, 2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
aphexacid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:31 PM   #48
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
There are more important things in life.

I'm not out to scam anyone whether its a fellow human, or big corporation.

I believe what you put out in the universe, comes back to you.

How about if this guy loses his job over my phone? Thats terrible, and i don't want to be the cause of that.

You may think it was a stupid decision, but if i had to lie to get a phone fixed, thats not what i'm about. Maybe you are.
Good man. And yes, we get what we give.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:31 PM   #49
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Honestly, if he was trying to coax you into coming up with an excuse to replace the device free of charge, I would have taken him up on that. No Karma Points needed to be spent there. It was his idea. It's all in the eyebrows.
I totally get it. But i'm not going to lie about it. Its really not that serious.

If i really wanted to i could have went in there flailing my hands in the air sceaming that "X" is wrong with my phone and i demand they fix it.

I was just hoping they could smooth out the dent
aphexacid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:32 PM   #50
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I totally get it. But i'm not going to lie about it. Its really not that serious.

If i really wanted to i could have went in there flailing my hands in the air sceaming that "X" is wrong with my phone and i demand they fix it.

I was just hoping they could smooth out the dent
I understand.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone