Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
My mom's PC died and I want to give her my 2010 al iMac. I need to transfer my files from the iMac to my new 13" Retina MBP. What is the best way to do this?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
My mom's PC died and I want to give her my 2010 al iMac. I need to transfer my files from the iMac to my new 13" Retina MBP. What is the best way to do this?

You should be able to use migration assistant if you want to move everything over. If you just have certain files you want to move over I believe you can use this too. It is best to connect with a thunderbolt cable (will be super fast) but you can do it with usb and wifi too if needed.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
You should be able to use migration assistant if you want to move everything over. If you just have certain files you want to move over I believe you can use this too. It is best to connect with a thunderbolt cable (will be super fast) but you can do it with usb and wifi too if needed.
Yeah wireless says it will take 26 hours so that's not an option. I guess I need to buy a TB cable and an adapter? Is there a FW to TB adapter? Or USB to TB? Maybe I'll just purchase an external HD and then use it for backups.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Migration Assistant like the previous poster said, or you can back up everything on to a Time Machine disk and then restore from that back up to your new machine.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Migration Assistant like the previous poster said, or you can back up everything on to a Time Machine disk and then restore from that back up to your new machine.
Will MA work faster with a wired connection?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Yeah wireless says it will take 26 hours so that's not an option. I guess I need to buy a TB cable and an adapter? Is there a FW to TB adapter? Or USB to TB? Maybe I'll just purchase an external HD and then use it for backups.

Yea it took me about 4-5 hours to transfer from my macbook pro to my new macbook air but its not like I had to be there I just ran it over night so time was not an issue.

If you just have certain files you want to transfer over and not a whole copy of all the contents of the computers and settings there should be an option for that.

Options such as usb3 ethernet firewire and thunderbolt are faster than wifi transfers in most cases.

Jonathanm1222

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2012
Don't waste your money on Thunderbolt. Use an ethernet cable.

Agree. The guy at Apple said don't spend the money for a TB cable if you're only using it for a one time transfer of files to a new iMac. And he said the TB was not any faster. Use Ethernet cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.