Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undefeated12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Hi, new ipad mini is great except for trying to use the text messaging. 75% of the time I get the message send failure notice - yes, to fellow iMessage users. I have tried the power button and round button reset several times, turned off iMessage in Settings and turned it back on.... To no avail. I have wifi working, everything else works (email, Internet, etc.). When iMessage actually works is completely random... And most of the time it doesn't work at all...

Also, texts messages sent from my iPhone4s will appear on my mini hours later... Most recently, the messages between my husband and I (sent via iPhone) completely mixed up when they later appeared on the Mini: my messages were in a block and his messages were in a block - rather than a back-and-forth conversation. Never seen that happen before - so any advice? I can't get to the Genius Bar because of sick kids so thought I'd start here.
Thanks.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Had this problem and it turned out to be something too obvious to see at first. I was trying to send iMessages in the Subject Line and this just does not work. Undelivered every time. Noticed after a bit and went to settings and turned off use of the subject line. You don't have to do that of course; I was just irritated at it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi, new ipad mini is great except for trying to use the text messaging. 75% of the time I get the message send failure notice - yes, to fellow iMessage users. I have tried the power button and round button reset several times, turned off iMessage in Settings and turned it back on.... To no avail. I have wifi working, everything else works (email, Internet, etc.). When iMessage actually works is completely random... And most of the time it doesn't work at all...

Also, texts messages sent from my iPhone4s will appear on my mini hours later... Most recently, the messages between my husband and I (sent via iPhone) completely mixed up when they later appeared on the Mini: my messages were in a block and his messages were in a block - rather than a back-and-forth conversation. Never seen that happen before - so any advice? I can't get to the Genius Bar because of sick kids so thought I'd start here.
Thanks.
What kind of network is the iPad connected to? Is it the same network that the iPhone is connected to?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Is this limited to the iPad? By that I mean, Messages on the iMac has always been a problem (in this exact way) for me. I get an error message quite a lot (and I don't send a lot of messages, so the percentage is quite high), and I click on the icon to resend it, and usually the second time it succeeds. I rarely send from my iPad, I just always thought it was more an issue with the OS X version??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.