Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
So I've ordered 4-5 things this holiday season from the Apple Online Store.. 4/5 of the items said they would require a signature when delivered and they were left at my front door without a signature required.

Just wondering if this is typical or what's going on? Why are they saying that I'll have to sign when I don't? Even the tracking #s they release to me doesn't say signature required. I guess it's no big deal, but just kind of weird as it's been happening a lot.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the shipping details include signature required, well then the delivery guy screwed up and ignored that.

I've had that happen on rare occasions but nothing bad has come of it thankfully.

ChadMSU07

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
So I've ordered 4-5 things this holiday season from the Apple Online Store.. 4/5 of the items said they would require a signature when delivered and they were left at my front door without a signature required.

Just wondering if this is typical or what's going on? Why are they saying that I'll have to sign when I don't? Even the tracking #s they release to me doesn't say signature required. I guess it's no big deal, but just kind of weird as it's been happening a lot.

I ordered some small items and it said signature required. I filled out a form for Fedex to leave it at my door without signature. If I remember correctly it basically says that they aren't responsible if your package isn't there if you don't sign for it.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
For better or for worse, it is the delivery person's call. If they leave a 'signature required' parcel without getting that signature and nothing happens then there is no harm. It is only when something happens that they get into trouble. Perhaps they know you live in a safe neighbourhood?

The other factor is that while some drivers are on salary.... they get paid whether they have to come back or not, some are drivers are a 3rd party contractor. In my community that is often the case, and one driver is a friend as well. He gets paid by the parcel....and it's not much. If he needs to come back a 2nd or 3rd time he doesn't get paid until it is accepted. So.... he leaves it by the door and calls to make sure I got it. One time he knew we were away ( I wasn't expecting the delivery for a few days) so he just took it home and stored it for me until I got back. (He was supposed to return it to the contracting depot.)

Sometimes he calls and asks if I can wait a day or two until he has a few more deliveries for our end of island. It's a long drive for very little money otherwise. Usually I can help him out by waiting for a day or so.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I was under the impression that UPS/FedEx would say "Signature Required" on the tracking site if Apple actually ordered sig confirm, so I figured it was Apple cutting corners and not the mail carriers.

Oh well, I got my items, just a peculiar business practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.