Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
auto180sx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Media File Storage

OK, I'm a Windows guy converting to a Mac, so bear with me please.

Got my Mac last week and moved the HHD to the superdrive bay in favor of using a smaller SSD for booting and program running. I just finished moving all my old media files over to my Mac and it looks to be storing two copies; one on each hard drive. How do I fix this? I am running the most current OS and in iTunes I've got it selected to put my media files on the second hard drive. Also, is there any way to change the file extension so I can manually do this without using iTunes? Some of my media files are not supported with iTunes.
__________________
Macbook Pro 13.3"; 2.8GHz i7; 16GB Ram; 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD; 750GB HHD in the Superdrive Bay
iPhone 5 32GB;Not Jailbroken Yet
auto180sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
I just finished moving all my old media files over to my Mac and it looks to be storing two copies; one on each hard drive. How do I fix this? I am running the most current OS and in iTunes I've got it selected to put my media files on the second hard drive.
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes to prevent iTunes from making duplicates of files when you add them to your library:
Thumb resize.
Another method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, with the remainder stored on an external drive.
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
Also, is there any way to change the file extension so I can manually do this without using iTunes? Some of my media files are not supported with iTunes.
Simply changing the file extension won't change the format of the file. If the format isn't supported by iTunes, it must be converted to a format iTunes recognizes. All2MP3 will convert most file types to .mp3 format.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
auto180sx
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes to prevent iTunes from making duplicates of files when you add them to your library:
Thumb resize.
Another method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, with the remainder stored on an external drive.
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
Simply changing the file extension won't change the format of the file. If the format isn't supported by iTunes, it must be converted to a format iTunes recognizes. All2MP3 will convert most file types to .mp3 format.

What I want to do is still have all my media files in the "Music" folder, "Picture" folder, "Movies" folder but I want those folders on the second hard drive. EX: Clicking the "Music" folder in finder brings up my music but all of it is stored on the HDD, not the SSD.

Thanks for your help so far.
__________________
Macbook Pro 13.3"; 2.8GHz i7; 16GB Ram; 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD; 750GB HHD in the Superdrive Bay
iPhone 5 32GB;Not Jailbroken Yet
auto180sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Media Storage linds15 Apple TV and Home Theater 33 Mar 6, 2014 03:26 AM
iTunes Media Storage knoxtown Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jan 3, 2014 08:19 AM
media sharing and External Storage geoffpalmeruk Mac mini 10 Nov 14, 2013 02:54 PM
Storage solution for media library. HalfNelson Mac Peripherals 9 Aug 31, 2013 06:15 PM
iTunes media storage...out of space! kumquat Mac Basics and Help 0 Mar 18, 2013 08:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC