Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
auto180sx
macrumors newbie

Media File Storage

OK, I'm a Windows guy converting to a Mac, so bear with me please.

Got my Mac last week and moved the HHD to the superdrive bay in favor of using a smaller SSD for booting and program running. I just finished moving all my old media files over to my Mac and it looks to be storing two copies; one on each hard drive. How do I fix this? I am running the most current OS and in iTunes I've got it selected to put my media files on the second hard drive. Also, is there any way to change the file extension so I can manually do this without using iTunes? Some of my media files are not supported with iTunes.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
I just finished moving all my old media files over to my Mac and it looks to be storing two copies; one on each hard drive. How do I fix this? I am running the most current OS and in iTunes I've got it selected to put my media files on the second hard drive.
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes to prevent iTunes from making duplicates of files when you add them to your library:
Thumb resize.
Another method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, with the remainder stored on an external drive.
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
Also, is there any way to change the file extension so I can manually do this without using iTunes? Some of my media files are not supported with iTunes.
Simply changing the file extension won't change the format of the file. If the format isn't supported by iTunes, it must be converted to a format iTunes recognizes. All2MP3 will convert most file types to .mp3 format.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
auto180sx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes to prevent iTunes from making duplicates of files when you add them to your library:
Thumb resize.
Another method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, with the remainder stored on an external drive.
How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
Simply changing the file extension won't change the format of the file. If the format isn't supported by iTunes, it must be converted to a format iTunes recognizes. All2MP3 will convert most file types to .mp3 format.

What I want to do is still have all my media files in the "Music" folder, "Picture" folder, "Movies" folder but I want those folders on the second hard drive. EX: Clicking the "Music" folder in finder brings up my music but all of it is stored on the HDD, not the SSD.

Thanks for your help so far.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help