Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDH3BLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
planning on buying a 27, even though it seems like no one will be getting theirs anytime soon ordering now but anyways I use my gopro alot and love to make videos and this most liely will be my primary use of the iMac with final cut.

I wondering if the 675mx is all I really need? or the 680MX something I shouldnt pass up? I like to get the latest and the greatest just because it will last longer with this fast moving tech stuff, but from what I have seen, most people get it for gaming... correct me if Im wrong because I have no clue haha.

thanks,

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
the gtx 675xm fast enought I have Overclocked it and everything i Play is Fine and Ive tried Far Cry3 Borderlands 2

SDH3BLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hmm a yes and a no haha. Well if I'm going to pay this much money anyways might as well go big! Even though I may not need it, it's always nice to have it if I ever did. Thanks!

and if anyone has a more detailed comparison or where I could find one that'd be great!

Thanks,

jarnold

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Seattle,WA
the gtx 675xm fast enought I have Overclocked it and everything i Play is Fine and Ive tried Far Cry3 Borderlands 2

How fast is fast enough? lol I really just want to go to the apple store and buy a high end model rather than wait a month for the BTO :(

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
the $1999 model has gtx 675 and its plenty fast when u over-clock it make big difference let me know what else u like to know

ps I came from a windows machine with gtx 690 watercooled so when I say the gtx 675mx is fast i know what I am talking about :)

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I have the 675 and play Arkham City on full resolution and high quality. There is some lag when going through doorways but mostly its very smooth. Overclocking would fix that but I don't think its necessary.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
what if you dont game though? I do use photoshop and final cut though.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
The 680mx is 50% faster.

Well, it depends. Stock 675mx has 600/3600 clocks while Apple clocks for it are the same as 680mx's - 720/5000.
Due to the core numbers differense (960 vs 1536), there could be a 50% performance differense, but some benchmarks results posted by forum guys show a lot less performanse differense.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
There's absolutely no point in getting the highend imac unless you're a gamer.

And getting the 680mx is just a waste of money. The performance increase compared to the 675mx is close to none existing. I ordered the 680mx before any benchmarks were released and I definitely regret it now.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012

And getting the 680mx is just a waste of money. The performance increase compared to the 675mx is close to none existing. I ordered the 680mx before any benchmarks were released and I definitely regret it now.

There should definitely be an around 1.5x performance increase, due to 60% more CUDA cores in 680mx. I guess, it's something temporary and is drivers-related.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. None existing performance increase between 675MX and 680MX? There is a difference and people who use graphic intensive applications will definitely notice it.

If you're planning to use your iMac for 3 years or more, getting a 680MX is almost a must. I'm using a 3 year old graphic chip in my Macbook Pro, it gets very warm just playing YouTube videos. Who knows how graphic intensive applications will be in 3 years, no one knows. Futureproofing your iMac graphics-wise is definitely a top priority.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
There should definitely be an around 1.5x performance increase, due to 60% more CUDA cores in 680mx. I guess, it's something temporary and is drivers-related.

Yes, on the paper it looks like there's should be a huge difference, but that's on the paper. It could be a driver issue but I doubt there will be a fix if that's the case. Also looking at previous GPU upgrades in the highend iMac the performance boost have been very moderate, at best.

graphic intensive applications will definitely notice it.

just playing YouTube videos.

Omg :confused: I'm not even going to comment on that. :facepalm:

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

Sorry but to say there is no performance increase is just beyond false. Just because you regret it, it doesn't mean others might not have a use for it, and no, its not just on paper.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Omg :confused: I'm not even going to comment on that. :facepalm:

If playing YouTube at 1080p is too much for a only 3 year old Mac, imagine what really graphic intensive applications(like Adobe applications, games, etc) will do to an iMac with "only" a 675MX in 3 years. Seems I have to explain my point in great detail. Perhaps you shouldn't facepalm so hard so that you don't lose those precious braincells :rolleyes:

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
what if you dont game though? I do use photoshop and final cut though.

You will notice a difference when scrubing in FC so if you use this program it's worth the extra $150. PS not so much.

Basically any program the renders in realtime will benifit from a more powerful graphics card.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
If playing YouTube at 1080p is too much for a only 3 year old Mac, imagine what really graphic intensive applications(like Adobe applications, games, etc) will do to an iMac with "only" a 675MX in 3 years. Seems I have to explain my point in great detail. Perhaps you shouldn't facepalm so hard so that you don't lose those precious braincells :rolleyes:

Browsers have only recently started to use GPU acceleration for streaming video. Your old Macbook is not heating up due to Youtube using the GPU; more likely due to the battery or CPU (or blocking the the ventilation).

SDH3BLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I'm all about future proofing things, especially with a large purchase like this. I think 680MX will be the winner, and if I don't access it's full potential... Well at least I have it and it's there just in case, I would never regret something like that! I would regret getting something and then finding out i needed something better! Who knows maybe ill start playing some games! Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate it. Now I have to decide where I will buy it from... Either way, not getting it soon!

Here's what I'm getting
27"
3.4 i7
8GB RAM
1TB fusion drive
680MX!

Think this will be nice computer for a long time!

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm all about future proofing things, especially with a large purchase like this. I think 680MX will be the winner, and if I don't access it's full potential... Well at least I have it and it's there just in case, I would never regret something like that! I would regret getting something and then finding out i needed something better! Who knows maybe ill start playing some games! Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate it. Now I have to decide where I will buy it from... Either way, not getting it soon!

Here's what I'm getting
27"
3.4 i7
8GB RAM
1TB fusion drive
680MX!

Think this will be nice computer for a long time!

Why the i7?

talisabt

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
To clarify something which people have not clarified for the OP:

The imax 27" has a 1440p screen or 2560x1440 or 3.7 million pixels... that's an extra 75% pixels over a 1080p or 1920x1080 or 2.1 million pixels. It's simple math.

Yes, the 675mx is a great chipset and is quite powerful. However, take into account that most reviews of a chipset or graphics card involve displays and games at 1080p - not 1440p.

The 680mx's 50% extra horsepower pays dividends when working with a monitor that is 75% "larger" (or more accurately has 50% more pixels).

Simply, imo, you need a better graphics card to futureproof yourself. For the price, the 680mx is a better upgrade than going from an i5 to the i7.

Hope this helps people become informed.

Good luck!

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Everything I read in the forums re: 675mx vs 680mx seems like speculation and hearsay. Can anyone point to a direct comparison between running a game/benchmark on the 675mx and on the 680mx, at full 1440p resolution, in osx (not bootcamp)?

The only comparison I've seen is from here, and it shows Heaven running about 37.2 fps on the 675mx and at 38.7 fps on the 680mx.

If you can point me to any other comparisons, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.