Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30, 2005, 06:32 AM   #1
smwatson
macrumors 6502a
 
smwatson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, England
Is it worth buying a Powerbook now?? and more...

Hi
Im considering purchasing an apple laptop. I have a budget of £2000 and would therefore probably buy a powerbook. However, i have a number of questions. How long will it be before apple releases the new update of the powerbook? The site says a few weeks but im not so sure.If i do wait will prices be lower or higher? I was also wondering if Apple will fix the overheating logic board problem as i do not want to end up with a brand new powerbook that is melting. I will probably get the following specs if i got one now:
15" Superdrive
1.67GhZ
1GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMS
80GB HD
128mb GRAPHICS

Thanks for your advice
smwatson is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 06:59 AM   #2
risc
macrumors 68030
 
risc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwatson
Hi
Im considering purchasing an apple laptop. I have a budget of £2000 and would therefore probably buy a powerbook. However, i have a number of questions. How long will it be before apple releases the new update of the powerbook? The site says a few weeks but im not so sure.If i do wait will prices be lower or higher? I was also wondering if Apple will fix the overheating logic board problem as i do not want to end up with a brand new powerbook that is melting. I will probably get the following specs if i got one now:
15" Superdrive
1.67GhZ
1GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMS
80GB HD
128mb GRAPHICS

Thanks for your advice
The PowerBook thing has been done to death did you consider searching the forum?

If people knew when Apple were updating the PowerBook range it would be on the front page of this site, no one knows sorry.

Prices will probably be the same and the hardware may be a little (or a lot better) when the upgrade does come around.

What over heating logic board problem? I don't know anyone who has had this issue, I've had my PowerBook G4 1.67 since they were released and it's been on 24/7 only rebooting for updates, and in sleep mode when I'm not using it - it runs perfectly.

The specs you have sound great I've got a 15" PowerBook G4 1.67, 64 MB VRAM, and 1.5 GB RAM it runs great for what I need. I actually prefer it to my Power Mac Dual G5.

Good luck with whatever you decide I'm sure some one will jump on here soon and tell you the PowerBook sucks, from what I can tell most of these people don't own them so take their rants with a grain of salt.
risc is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:45 AM   #3
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
I would have no qualms about buying one of the current PowerBook G4s (especially the one that your are considering). They are fast, stable, and well-built machines.

I believe that updated PowerBooks are right around the corner, but then again, I have been saying that for a few months...

Regardless of if you wait or not, you will be getting a very nice machine. So buy with confidence, whenever & whatever you do.
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:06 AM   #4
_bnkr612
macrumors 6502a
 
_bnkr612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
If you need it, buy it. If you can wait, buy it anyway cause they are nice puters. If you want to sell it on ebay when macintels come out, do it.

This is a rumor site. No one can guarantee when updates will be.

But this is a rumor site, so I say they will be updated tomorrow at 9 am, just after I eat my toast with apple butter jelly.

Cheers.
__________________
Mens sana in corpore sano.
_bnkr612 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:21 AM   #5
mcadam
macrumors 6502a
 
mcadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: kÝbenhavn
Send a message via ICQ to mcadam
Quote:
Originally Posted by risc
What over heating logic board problem? I don't know anyone who has had this issue,
I suspect he might refer to a rather widespread problem with the logic boards on iBooks produced at in a specific period. This problem was acknowledged by Apple who repleced defect logicboards for free... two friends of mine (who bought their books at the same time) tried this.

Never heard about anything similar with Powerbooks.

There hasn't been any major updates for a long time and it's unlikely there'll be any in the near future either. Not before the intels will start coming out, in perhaps 6-12 months.
I say a Powerbook is a great computer that'll last you for many years.

A
__________________
If you live every day as if it was your last, one day you are most certainly gonna be right - Steve
mcadam is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:31 AM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by _bnkr612
But this is a rumor site, so I say they will be updated tomorrow at 9 am, just after I eat my toast with apple butter jelly.

Cheers.
Yay, I will look forward to that (and no, not the
toast w/ the apple butter jelly).
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw007
Yay, I will look forward to that (and no, not the
toast w/ the apple butter jelly).
Apple butter jelly. I''m hoping you mean jam where you say jelly cause even then I want to know what apple butter jam would be.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
And to the OP, save some cash and don't get your RAM from Apple, go third party and use the cash on an Airport Express or a good bag or something.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Henri Gaudier
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: France
How many more times are we going to endure this question?

The answer is NO NO NO! Wait a little longer. Apple can't be selling many at the spec it is now for the price. If embarassment can't drive Apple to improve specs surely a fall off in sales will.
Henri Gaudier is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:44 AM   #10
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
Apple butter jelly. I''m hoping you mean jam where you say jelly cause even then I want to know what apple butter jam would be.
Not quite sure, I was just quoting _bnkr612.
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:49 AM   #11
_bnkr612
macrumors 6502a
 
_bnkr612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
Apple butter jelly. I''m hoping you mean jam where you say jelly cause even then I want to know what apple butter jam would be.
It's a jelly form. But you're right, it is Jam. Those people I bought it from call it Jelly!

It tastes better after PowerBook updates though...
__________________
Mens sana in corpore sano.
_bnkr612 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:34 AM   #12
widgetguy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Send a message via AIM to widgetguy
lets face it a powerbook is worth aa buyer anytime e. they all serve a great pupose .
__________________
MACBOOK "BLACK" 2.0GHZ 2GB, 80GB, SUPERDRIVE
G5 PowerMac 1.6Ghz 80gb. 200gb. 4GB RAM ext.250gb ext. 500gb Ram Superdrive
widgetguy is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:17 AM   #13
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by _bnkr612
It's a jelly form. But you're right, it is Jam. Those people I bought it from call it Jelly!

It tastes better after PowerBook updates though...
Everything tastes better after a PowerBook update!
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is iPhone 5s still worth buying? ShunSeb47 iPhone 6 May 4, 2014 11:27 AM
Is S3 worth buying. Robster3 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 9 Feb 21, 2014 03:43 PM
Still worth buying the iPhone 5? seble iPhone 27 Jan 20, 2013 12:25 PM
Worth Buying One Now? klamse25 iPad 36 Aug 17, 2012 11:27 AM
Worth buying? Tayfelix PowerPC Macs 32 Jun 10, 2012 07:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC