Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Exclamation Kernel panic, going to Genius Bar tmr, chance of replacement?

Hi everyone, I have an iPad mini that I bought on launch day and it has been working flawlessly but starting these few days it started acting up weird and kept rebooting on its own with some pink and green lines flashing before killing itself and rebooting and the cycle repeats randomly.

I booked a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow but I'm curious as to the chances of me getting a replacement Mini? Would they be able to fix it? And also would they require me to demonstrate the iPad's failure to function properly? Because sometimes it works just fine, the crashing and restarting is totally random. However I do have these logs under Diagnostics and Usage to prove that the Mini is certainly having problem.

EDIT: Tried restoring and setting as new, also a restore to a previous backup but it's still happening.
EDIT #2: Just tried restoring as new again, and it shows slide to configure with the big word "iPad" on top, then when I tried sliding it rebooted itself again, my main concern is if I cannot demonstrate that it doesn't work even after a fresh restore, will they still replace my iPad?
EDIT #3: Got my replacement! Totally hassle-free. Refurb or brand-new, it works just like a new one and that's what I wanted. Hope there won't be anymore issues with this one thanks guys for your feedbacks.

Also it has been refusing to sync to my MBP.

So what do you guys think? Would the Genius give me a replacement or try to fix it? I would much prefer a hassle-free replacement
Nintendo 3DS XL

Last edited by KingArthurVI; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
KingArthurVI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
batting1000
macrumors 601

Try restoring it and setting up as new.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Try restoring it and setting up as new.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I have tried restoring it as a new iPad and it still does that. So in the end I restored from the backup again as a test and it's still happening.
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Your chances should be real good you'll get a replacement. Did you try a hardware reset?
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Your chances should be real good you'll get a replacement. Did you try a hardware reset?
As in holding the sleep and the home button at the same time? Yeah done that countless of times when the iPad just freezes all of a sudden really worried that if they "fix" it it will still be problematic and I have to make an extra trip.
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingArthurVI View Post
As in holding the sleep and the home button at the same time? Yeah done that countless of times when the iPad just freezes all of a sudden really worried that if they "fix" it it will still be problematic and I have to make an extra trip.
Yeah but you gotta hold both buttons until the Apple logo reappears. Did you do that?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
utazdevl
macrumors member

I can't speak to Apple's iPad policy, but last year I bought an iMac that worked great for a week, then just randomly turned itself off and wouldn't restart. I bought it to the Genius Bar and it booted right up (just to spite me, I think). They couldn't replicate the problem, and I got nervous. Then, the tech said to me "Is all your information backed up?" I said yes, and he said, "OK, are you OK if I just give you a new one?" I was thrilled.

Best of luck to you, and I hope it works out for you.
utazdevl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yeah but you gotta hold both buttons until the Apple logo reappears. Did you do that?
Yup done that. Coz it was stuck so long I had to do a hard reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utazdevl View Post
I can't speak to Apple's iPad policy, but last year I bought an iMac that worked great for a week, then just randomly turned itself off and wouldn't restart. I bought it to the Genius Bar and it booted right up (just to spite me, I think). They couldn't replicate the problem, and I got nervous. Then, the tech said to me "Is all your information backed up?" I said yes, and he said, "OK, are you OK if I just give you a new one?" I was thrilled.

Best of luck to you, and I hope it works out for you.
Hope that happens to me as well. But I do have the logs to prove that it's experienced kernel panics so I sincerely hope it's a hassle-free replacement.
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Yeah if you tried all of that you'll get a new one, maybe refurbished.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #10
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yeah if you tried all of that you'll get a new one, maybe refurbished.
That's what I am afraid of. More problems. Is there a way to get them to give me a brand new one?
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's what I am afraid of. More problems. Is there a way to get them to give me a brand new one?
You'll probably get a new one because of the high demands of the mini. Even if you get a refurb, no worries as those get a new battery and outer case and they go thru a rigorous testing process.

My iPad 2 is a refurb and you can't tell it's a refurb. It looks new.
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ok just make sure the replacement is from a WHITE CARDBOARD BOX, and it will be BRAND NEW! My mom had her 4s replaced, and they opened a white instead of black box and the phone is not refurb...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
I've had two iPod touches replaced with refurbs, they are as good as new. And you get the same warranty period as the original you are getting replaced. And as another poster pointed out, you'll get a white box replacement, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if this replacement is new or refurb, when I got my iPod touches replaced, they both came in white boxes. At this point, the white box replacement minis will likely be new units set aside for replacement purposes, but once they start having refurbs for replacement, those also come in white boxes.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:34 AM   #14
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
I've had two iPod touches replaced with refurbs, they are as good as new. And you get the same warranty period as the original you are getting replaced. And as another poster pointed out, you'll get a white box replacement, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if this replacement is new or refurb, when I got my iPod touches replaced, they both came in white boxes. At this point, the white box replacement minis will likely be new units set aside for replacement purposes, but once they start having refurbs for replacement, those also come in white boxes.
Alright, so I will just have my fingers crossed that they are giving me a new replacement then. Thanks guys for your inputs!
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:21 AM   #15
SR71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I personally think that it's better getting a refurb from Apple vs. getting a new one. Why? Well, because with the refurbs, Apple actually checks them out and makes sure they're working fine, then they replace the battery and outer case and then finally when all or that is done, put it back up for sale/replacement purposes. With a new one, they just build it and it gets flashed with the latest version of iOS and then it's sent away for sale/replacement purposes. They don't thoroughly test new ones like they do with refurbished, thus leaving more room for error. Refurbs all the way for me.
SR71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:18 AM   #16
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
I personally think that it's better getting a refurb from Apple vs. getting a new one. Why? Well, because with the refurbs, Apple actually checks them out and makes sure they're working fine, then they replace the battery and outer case and then finally when all or that is done, put it back up for sale/replacement purposes. With a new one, they just build it and it gets flashed with the latest version of iOS and then it's sent away for sale/replacement purposes. They don't thoroughly test new ones like they do with refurbished, thus leaving more room for error. Refurbs all the way for me.
Wow that's a fresh perspective. I guess I won't complain no matter which one I get today then. Will update when I am back from the Apple Store tonight.
Nintendo 3DS XL
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:21 AM   #17
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
...They don't thoroughly test new ones like they do with refurbished, thus leaving more room for error. ...
This doesn't sound quite right. Do you have a source for this, or is this just speculation?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:23 AM   #18
syd430

Quote:
No.

There is no separate "thorough standard" that refurbs get put through, the testing standard is largely the same (a combination of automatic and manual processes).

Not sure why so many people keep spreading this myth.

Last edited by syd430; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:39 AM   #19
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
This doesn't sound quite right. Do you have a source for this, or is this just speculation?
It's just speculation, and its wrong.

I've observed no difference in quality between refurbs and new (i.e many refurbs had the same obvious hardware faults out of the box as their new counterparts). And believe me, the sample size is large enough for me to draw a conclusion.

Case in point: my current iphone 5 (refurb) came with a screen that's popped out and clicking in the top right corner, and a very loose home button. of course one iphone is just anecdotal evidence, but again I'm drawing from a large sample here between many iPhone, ipad and macbook refurbs I've gone through over the years. The quality is the same.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Directly from their website: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...cid=AOS-US-KWG

So they do test them for problems. There was further discussion and I don't have the link that they run tests/diagnostics on these units, update the firmware and replace any parts that fail the testing process.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #21
batting1000
macrumors 601

Not sure why people are spreading the myth that refurbs aren't as good as new devices. Do you think Apple, of all companies, would not make sure the device is up to snuff before sending it out? I had a refurb iPhone 4S last year and I can definitely say I had no problems whatsoever. It looks and worked like new.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:16 PM   #22
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Please tell us more. Where did you get extensive knowledge of testing between new and refurb? Or is this pure speculation?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #23
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkjsn View Post
Please tell us more. Where did you get extensive knowledge of testing between new and refurb? Or is this pure speculation?
It's pure common sense. It's right on Apple's website as well.

"We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:50 PM   #24
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
It's pure common sense. It's right on Apple's website as well.

"We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."
That's your basis that refurbished is better than brand new? Sorry but I will stick with brand new.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:37 PM   #25
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Directly from their website: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

So they do test them for problems. There was further discussion and I don't have the link that they run tests/diagnostics on these units, update the firmware and replace any parts that fail the testing process.
That's not what he said. Please go back and reread the post I replied to.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
genius, ipad, kernel, mini, panic