Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1
ryguy0587
macrumors newbie

Is the MBA right for me?

Need your help

I need to order a Mac asap and can't decide which is best. I am a start-up entrepreneur and use my mac for everything I do. I blog, do spreadsheets, word docs, browse and video editing. I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly. I do like the lightness of the Air but it is not a deal maker for me. I have been using a MBP as of late and have no issues with it (it's not mine). My thoughts are the 13" AIR and max it out. or go with a basic i5 (or i7 if you think its worth the $250-$300 upgrade) MBP 13" and upgrade the Ram (either 8gb or 16gb) and HD to an 256 ssd and hopefully be set.

Need to get this sorted asap and can't find a definite answer one way or another, which may be a good thing

Thanks!
ryguy0587 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Why don't you make a spread sheet of the pros and cons of both models? Then decide which ones are important in order on each one?

But to be serious, I am a software engineer and I got an MBA with 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM and the i5. I'm happy. Best computer I've ever own. The weight of the MBP is so heavy (to me that is).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
ryguy0587
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
Why don't you make a spread sheet of the pros and cons of both models? Then decide which ones are important in order on each one?

But to be serious, I am a software engineer and I got an MBA with 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM and the i5. I'm happy. Best computer I've ever own. The weight of the MBP is so heavy (to me that is).
haha ive done that but still can't decide. Also, i guess i dont notice the weight of the MBP since I dont have an MBA, but I agree it is light from looking at it in the store.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy0587 View Post
haha ive done that but still can't decide. Also, i guess i dont notice the weight of the MBP since I dont have an MBA, but I agree it is light from looking at it in the store.
Light isn't the word I describe it as. I forget I have it on my back sometimes. Even though the new MBP are just under 5lbs I don't like it. I thought it was amazing a long time ago but not after the Air finally packs the performance punch I want.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5
SwampTony
macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I'm also a start-up entrepreneur and
Have recently elected to go with a MBA refurbished through the apple store. It should be here tomorrow actually and it's the i7/8gb ram/256ssd. I do mainly the same stuff as you but I'm also going to do some CAD work as I'm a design engineer. I'll let you know how it runs when I get it tomorrow but from what I've heard you really can't go wrong with a MBA.
SwampTony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:14 AM   #6
joheri
macrumors newbie

what you also need to consider is that you have more screem real estate on the MBA. The MBA has a resolution equal to the 15" MBP.

I love my MBA, by the way
(i7, 1,8 GHz)
joheri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:58 AM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816

I think the weight of the MBP is going to make it cumbersome in all the traveling that you'll do. My route would be to get the Air and bump the specs up a bit to give it longevity and flexibility but not enough to put it on par with the expense of a MBP, ie 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD. Consider also a good display so when you're in the office you can conveniently have 2 docs open side-by-side.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

For portability and speed (that wonderful flash drive), nothing beats the MBA. I have one and love it. For its time, the screen is also very good; however, the screen of the retina MBPs is better.

It really depends on what you want and need. If you need power, then choose the MBP. If portability matters (as it does to me, for I travel a lot), then nothing equals the MBA.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

"I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly"

"Hate" huh? Then get the Pro.
I have both, and face it, the Air is slower. While the Air has matured, the Pro specs best it by a considerable margin. The reference to video editing alone may be the deal breaker here though.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:25 AM   #10
ryguy0587
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampTony View Post
For what it's worth, I'm also a start-up entrepreneur and
Have recently elected to go with a MBA refurbished through the apple store. It should be here tomorrow actually and it's the i7/8gb ram/256ssd. I do mainly the same stuff as you but I'm also going to do some CAD work as I'm a design engineer. I'll let you know how it runs when I get it tomorrow but from what I've heard you really can't go wrong with a MBA.
Yes, please let me know your experiences.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
"I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly"

"Hate" huh? Then get the Pro.
I have both, and face it, the Air is slower. While the Air has matured, the Pro specs best it by a considerable margin. The reference to video editing alone may be the deal breaker here though.
Thanks...Price wise, everything is very comparable especially if I buy the Prop and upgrade the SSD and Memory myself. I haven't seen many arguments against the Air, so its hard for me to rule it out. I also use dual monitors often if that makes my decision lean one way or the other from your experiences.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Everything i do on my Airs is quicker than on my Pro.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air