Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Hi gurus,

I just got myself a crucial M4 and replaced the default HDD. my steps are:

- format the SSD externally using usb 1st, erase and format 1 partition in journal extended.
- Prepared my mountain lion thumbdrive using the correct step (it works on my other mac)
- replaced the default HDD with my new SSD.
- Boot OS with option key holding.
- only my mountain lion flash drive appear. So i selected.
- it straight away give me a "no entry sign", not even an apple logo.

May i know what went wrong?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Hi gurus,

I just got myself a crucial M4 and replaced the default HDD. my steps are:

- format the SSD externally using usb 1st, erase and format 1 partition in journal extended.
- Prepared my mountain lion thumbdrive using the correct step (it works on my other mac)
- replaced the default HDD with my new SSD.
- Boot OS with option key holding.
- only my mountain lion flash drive appear. So i selected.
- it straight away give me a "no entry sign", not even an apple logo.

May i know what went wrong?

You can't install on your USB, that's the installer. Tear your mac mini back apart and make sure the hard drive (SSD) cable is seated properly. You should see some other sort of drive when you boot off the Option key. If you don't see it, it's not installed (hardware wise) properly.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
What computer? What version of ML?

hi the version is 10.8.2, i just got my mac mini yesterday.

----------

You can't install on your USB, that's the installer. Tear your mac mini back apart and make sure the hard drive (SSD) cable is seated properly. You should see some other sort of drive when you boot off the Option key. If you don't see it, it's not installed (hardware wise) properly.

could it be because i formatted the SSD externally previously? i check my cable it actually fitted firmly.

Also i check my SSD using usb cable, it actually detected correctly as an external drive.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
could it be because i formatted the SSD externally previously? i check my cable it actually fitted firmly.

Also i check my SSD using usb cable, it actually detected correctly as an external drive.

Did you Erase it or did you Partition it? Make sure you partition it with the GUID option selected under Options in Disk Utility. Most drives come with a Windows boot/file system. The drive needs to be partitioned (one big one or whatever you want) but, the first partition need to be GUID enabled.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Did you Erase it or did you Partition it? Make sure you partition it with the GUID option selected under Options in Disk Utility. Most drives come with a Windows boot/file system. The drive needs to be partitioned (one big one or whatever you want) but, the first partition need to be GUID enabled.

Thanks I will try that out when i get home. Will keep this post updated :)

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

This is my guess to the problem as well.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
hey guys my mac mini still couldn't recognize my SSD. :(

below is the screenshot that i format it externally.

Screenshot2013-01-08atPM081154_zps33e52174.jpg

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
The only thing I can tell from here is a bad cable inside the Mac mini. It works with USB so, something inside is not working.

i actually tried putting the original HDD back. It is working fine, only couldn't detect my SSD :(

Any place i can get the cable?

----------

i was wondering could it be the firmware? but mine is up to date, which is 040H

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
so what am i suppose to do now? my SSD is fine, my cable is fine, the firmware is most up to date, my mac mini is brand new.

Could it be the sata controller? the controller that i use to format my SSD is sata2 controller. While the mac mini is using sata3?

JimT1701

macrumors member
May 4, 2012
Massachusetts
You cannot install 10.8.2 on a 2012 Mac Mini from USB it will not recognize the Mac Mini because it needs a special version of 10.8.1 installed first. The same thing happened with my new Mini and SSD. You will need to run internet recovery to get the OS reinstalled on the SSD. Boot with the SSD installed and hold down the Command-R key to begin recovery. When you see the Spinning Globe with a progress bar go watch a movie in the other room because it will take some time to complete. The Circle with the cross means it could not find any bootable media and it refuses to boot off the USB. I tried for an hour it will not work. Rumor is once 10.8.3 comes out you will be able to install off USB again on the 2012 Mini.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
You cannot install 10.8.2 on a 2012 Mac Mini from USB it will not recognize the Mac Mini because it needs a special version of 10.8.1 installed first. The same thing happened with my new Mini and SSD. You will need to run internet recovery to get the OS reinstalled on the SSD. Boot with the SSD installed and hold down the Command-R key to begin recovery. When you see the Spinning Globe with a progress bar go watch a movie in the other room because it will take some time to complete. The Circle with the cross means it could not find any bootable media and it refuses to boot off the USB. I tried for an hour it will not work. Rumor is once 10.8.3 comes out you will be able to install off USB again on the 2012 Mini.

Jim is right, you have to do a fresh install through the recovery or at least install 10.8.1 first because there is a specific 2012 mini-only version of 10.8.2. Just follow his directions and you'll be fine.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
hey guys thanks for the replies.

Before that i actually tried using internet recovery. the wifi can never find my signal even-though the router is just beside. tried using ethernet and no luck either. Anyway my mac found no drive detected as well

Anyway i have put back the original HDD. Now transferring everything to my new SSD externally using carbon copy cloner.

Will that solve the problem?

P.S. Because of this problem, now i am super quick in tearing mac mini. from the start of 30mins to around 7mins now.. lol..

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
hey guys thanks for the replies.

Before that i actually tried using internet recovery. the wifi can never find my signal even-though the router is just beside. tried using ethernet and no luck either. Anyway my mac found no drive detected as well

Anyway i have put back the original HDD. Now transferring everything to my new SSD externally using carbon copy cloner.

Will that solve the problem?

P.S. Because of this problem, now i am super quick in tearing mac mini. from the start of 30mins to around 7mins now.. lol..

What do you mean "no luck" using ethernet and internet recovery? "No drive detected" either means the SSD isn't formatted or it's dead.

--
Some SSD's have given me problems cloning them externally and then installing them, but not all are the same. Good luck.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I have used both methods with Crucial m4's. I now have M4's in both my MBP's and my 2012 Mini. On one of the MBP's I did CCC and it worked fine. On the other two I did internet recovery and started fresh. No problems with any of them. Hopefully you are able to get it working.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
hi guys,

after copied everything using CCC, mac mini can finally detect my SSD! :D

The only problem is the boot time is slower than my 5200rpm HDD? It take about 30 sec for the apple logo to appear. i tested my drive using black magic disk speed test, the test is good tho. 250mb write, 500mb read.

desaturated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Check startup drive setting in system preferences. Make sure SSD is selected.

Thanks i will check it out.

What do you mean "no luck" using ethernet and internet recovery? "No drive detected" either means the SSD isn't formatted or it's dead.

--
Some SSD's have given me problems cloning them externally and then installing them, but not all are the same. Good luck.

I am not a fan of cloning too, always preferred fresh install to new drive. But my ISP keep blocking port of -4403f. Thus i was unable to use internet recovery.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Glad to see CCC worked fine, but I personally recommend a fresh install when using SSDs.

superk

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I had issues installing my ssd, when I connected the sata cable to the second connector my ssd wouldn't boot, but when I replaced it and put it in the HDD position it worked

Did anyone have similar problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.