Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
ZBoater
macrumors 603
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
iPad Mini is flexible

And by that I mean it bends. I slammed my car door shut and caught my Mini in it. It was inside a Saddlebrook gadget leather sleeve, so it didn't get a scratch. But the Mini was curved (like a parenthesis). Glass did not shatter, not did the case crack.

Smelling a trip to the Genius Bar, I opted to put it back in the leather sleeve and force it straight with my hands. I'm happy to report the curve is gone, the Mini is fully functional, and not a scratch or crack in sight. It was amazing.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
really? That's pretty crazy if its true.... There is no sign of the bend on it at all?
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Well it is made of aluminum and gorilla glass. Aluminum bends and after a certain point it will crack. Gorilla glass bends and doesn't crack.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
really? That's pretty crazy if its true.... There is no sign of the bend on it at all?
There WAS a bend. But he bent it back into the original flat non-bent shape.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Well it is made of aluminum and gorilla glass. Aluminum bends and after a certain point it will crack. Gorilla glass bends and doesn't crack.

----------



There WAS a bend. But he bent it back into the original flat non-bent shape.
I get that, but when you bend aluminum and then flatten it back theres usually what looks like stretch marks on the aluminum.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
jdogg836
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
I get that, but when you bend aluminum and then flatten it back theres usually what looks like stretch marks on the aluminum.
That all depends on how severe the bend was.....
jdogg836 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:46 PM   #6
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Pics or it didn't happen :-p
mpayne2k is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:48 PM   #7
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
I'll have to take your word for it, because I'm not willing to try that with my own
__________________
Lots of Apple stuff........
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:10 PM   #8
ZBoater
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I'll have to take your word for it, because I'm not willing to try that with my own
Smart move. . The bend wasn't severe. It was a little like a parenthesis ) although not as pronounced. When I straightened it out there was a corner still bent, and I twisted that back. Looks pretty straight to me now.

Do not try this at home folks (unless you have AppleCare +)....
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You're the second person on here who has bent their Mini. There was another guy here who dropped it, and then said it was actually better to hold afterwards.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Kind sir...
Pics or gtfo.
Squilly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Glad it wasn't broken OP. Be more careful in the future.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:34 PM   #12
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
And by that I mean it bends. I slammed my car door shut and caught my Mini in it. It was inside a Saddlebrook gadget leather sleeve, so it didn't get a scratch. But the Mini was curved (like a parenthesis). Glass did not shatter, not did the case crack.

Smelling a trip to the Genius Bar, I opted to put it back in the leather sleeve and force it straight with my hands. I'm happy to report the curve is gone, the Mini is fully functional, and not a scratch or crack in sight. It was amazing.
Maybe the military should take a peek at that gadget.
AppleRobert is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Maybe Apple should go back to good old stainless steel cases.
Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
It may bend, but the real question is, will it BLEND?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MMmLQlrBws
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Well it is made of aluminum and gorilla glass. Aluminum bends and after a certain point it will crack. Gorilla glass bends and doesn't crack.

----------



There WAS a bend. But he bent it back into the original flat non-bent shape.
STOP SAYING GORILLA GLASS! The iPhone 5 and the iPad mini do not have official gorilla glass. Apple uses something like gorilla glass, but that is not gorilla glass. I am so tired of people saying this. You all just wish it was gorilla glass.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 PM   #16
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
STOP SAYING GORILLA GLASS! The iPhone 5 and the iPad mini do not have official gorilla glass. Apple uses something like gorilla glass, but that is not gorilla glass. I am so tired of people saying this. You all just wish it was gorilla glass.
Gorilla glass. I said it

Seriously, though, why does it bother you so much. If it looks like duck, bends like a duck, quacks like a duck, then...
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
Gorilla glass. I said it

Seriously, though, why does it bother you so much. If it looks like duck, bends like a duck, quacks like a duck, then...
I really don't know why it bothers me. I guess cause people think that is what they have when in fact they do not. I do believe apple glass is not as strong. I just like people to have their facts right.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:58 PM   #18
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
I get that, but when you bend aluminum and then flatten it back theres usually what looks like stretch marks on the aluminum.


Yup, technically it should leave a stretch marks but i guess we have to really see the pic to find out.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
My tissues aren't made by Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc., but I still call 'em Kleenex.

/Gorilla Glass!
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display Nexus 5 Nexus 7
xraydoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:23 PM   #20
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
I really don't know why it bothers me. I guess cause people think that is what they have when in fact they do not. I do believe apple glass is not as strong. I just like people to have their facts right.
Please post these "facts" that proves the iPhone5 and mini do not use Gorilla glass.
BHP41 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:34 PM   #21
ZBoater
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
STOP SAYING GORILLA GLASS! The iPhone 5 and the iPad mini do not have official gorilla glass. Apple uses something like gorilla glass, but that is not gorilla glass. I am so tired of people saying this. You all just wish it was gorilla glass.
http://m.9to5mac.com/9to5mac/#!/entr...fc7b5670801c59

"...Apple released its US Jobs report which included the following info:

Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone,.."
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Please post these "facts" that proves the iPhone5 and mini do not use Gorilla glass.
Here is the official list from Corning glass site http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/tablet/#_ProductsFull and apple anything ain't on it. Is that proof enough for?
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 PM   #23
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
Here is the official list from Corning glass site http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/tablet/#_ProductsFull and apple anything ain't on it. Is that proof enough for?
Did you read the part where it said "your favorite device may include Gorrilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed here"??

Doesn't prove it one way or the other.
BHP41 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Did you read the part where it said "your favorite device may include Gorrilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed here"??

Doesn't prove it one way or the other.
If you look at any articles you will see that the iPad mini uses the same glass as the iPhone 5 and if you read anything about the iPhone 5 it does not have gorilla glass. Also look at what happens you drop the iPad mini and iPhone 5 and say something like Motorola razor maxx or the Samsung galaxy s 3. The apple products just don't stand up. Why would apple leave their name off?
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:21 PM   #25
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
If you look at any articles you will see that the iPad mini uses the same glass as the iPhone 5 and if you read anything about the iPhone 5 it does not have gorilla glass. Also look at what happens you drop the iPad mini and iPhone 5 and say something like Motorola razor maxx or the Samsung galaxy s 3. The apple products just don't stand up. Why would apple leave their name off?
Hmmmmm...... All of the drop tests I've seen show that the iPhone 5 is far more durable and resistant to screen cracks or breaks than the S3. I've read plenty of articles on the iPhone 5 and nothing has been said or proven that it doesn't have gorilla glass. I ask again. Post the articles that prove that either the iPhone 5 or iPad mini doesn't use Gorilla Glass.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: iPad mini - looking for a flexible frosted back cover abdc iPad Accessories 12 Mar 17, 2014 12:03 PM
iPad: Ipad 4th gen Gooseneck/flexible stand RJ84 iPad Accessories 0 Jan 28, 2014 08:29 AM
All iPads: Flexible iPad Air pat park iPad 13 Nov 6, 2013 12:20 PM
iPad: iPad 3 case with flexible angles? ravenvii iPad Accessories 1 Aug 12, 2013 04:40 AM
iPad Mini: good flexible sturdy/stable stand for iPad mini? seajewel iPad Accessories 2 Nov 21, 2012 11:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC