Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1
mickeydean
macrumors member

Legit reasons for replacing iphone at apple store

Hi,

I have a 32gb iphone 4s that has mediocre battery life (not sure if it is below the 50% threshold) and I want to use applecare (a year left) to get it replaced at the apple store (in the states).

I charge it twice a day and constantly worry about the battery life.

I turn off bluetooth, minimise notifications, minimise brightness, turned off push mail, fetch once an hour, and I try not to use the phone. The standby time is like 9 hours with reasonable use. Mostly texting and a couple apps. I don't play games. Some ipod.

Other issues might be software. It does slow down and it has been crashing a fair bit. Nothing definitively wrong but I'd like a new one because the overall experience has degraded.

Can anyone give any relevant experience? I know sometimes you get a nice apple employee or sometimes you can be a really assertive or pushy customer to get more than officially allowed.
mickeydean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeydean View Post
Hi,

I have a 32gb iphone 4s that has mediocre battery life (not sure if it is below the 50% threshold) and I want to use applecare (a year left) to get it replaced at the apple store (in the states).

I charge it twice a day and constantly worry about the battery life.

I turn off bluetooth, minimise notifications, minimise brightness, turned off push mail, fetch once an hour, and I try not to use the phone. The standby time is like 9 hours with reasonable use. Mostly texting and a couple apps. I don't play games. Some ipod.

Other issues might be software. It does slow down and it has been crashing a fair bit. Nothing definitively wrong but I'd like a new one because the overall experience has degraded.

Can anyone give any relevant experience? I know sometimes you get a nice apple employee or sometimes you can be a really assertive or pushy customer to get more than officially allowed.
Why don't you try a restore? Saves you a trip to the apple store and it's what they're gonna tell you to do anyways.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:32 AM   #3
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

just hope you get a nice genius and tell him what you just told us.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:50 AM   #4
mickeydean
macrumors member

tried that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
just hope you get a nice genius and tell him what you just told us.
Word.
mickeydean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
takeshi74
macrumors 601

If the battery is truly defective they can test it and confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeydean View Post
tried that.
You need to restore as new and use it stock so it's at a known "good" state which is standard troubleshooting. If the battery life issues disappear then the battery isn't the issue.

There's no reason for them to replace it if you have issues that aren't due to the battery itself and there are plenty of non-battery causes that you need to rule out.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone