Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thinking about upgrading my CPU´s, but I´m not quite sure wether it has to be matched pairs or not?
I´m aware I wont gain much performance increase, but the Xeon E5472 is not that expensive, and I think it would be fun to do the upgrade.

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I too have a dual 2.8GHz Mac Pro 3,1 & looked at this but considering the hassle factor & risk of damage the performance improvement is going to be marginal. It's probably better value to buy a used 3.2GHz machine & then sell your 2.8GHz system.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
2.8 > 3.2 is not a big upgrade. Not worth it. The architecture is just too old.

Get an SSD instead and at least 10GB of RAM and you're set for a while—or wait until something new comes out.

P.S. I have the 8 Core 2008 3.2Ghz...I've used the 2.8Ghz and they're fairly similar in real world tests.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
What about the issue with matched pairs?
Understand the stepping has to be xxAx in order to work in the 2008 model.
BTW I've alleady two SSD's om the rig, and 16GB RAM.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Matched or not isn't an issue in MP. Stepping is. Must be C0 for MP: 5472 - SLASA, 5482 - SLANZ.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I too have a dual 2.8GHz Mac Pro 3,1 & looked at this but considering the hassle factor & risk of damage the performance improvement is going to be marginal. It's probably better value to buy a used 3.2GHz machine & then sell your 2.8GHz system.

ditto.

I did the right thing and purchased 12gigs of ram for around 100 dollars for the 3.1 before the prices tripled or even quadrupled.

A year later i upgraded the gpu to a AMD hd 6870 1g for 180 bucks (aprox) and purchased a Crucial m4 256g boot drive for around 190. Also replaced the optical super driver for 40 bucks (IDE is more costly these days and harder to find...) between what i paid in march of 2008, and what I paid in upgrades, this has been by far the cheapest and best computing experience i have had over a 5 year period.

overall, the SSD was the biggest improvement, even though i did not purchase a PCi card to take advantage of the sata III potential. Running it on sata II was still a massive step up frankly. If i'm ever feeling quirky i might try the PCi sled deal, but that would only be if i purchased another ssd... from what i hear, win 7 boot camp doesn't like to be on anything but sled 1... could be wrong about that last bit though.

Last edited:

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don´t run Windows on my MP. OS X (ML) from the 256GB Samsung 830, and the 2TB Seagate Barracuda for storage and TM.
The 180GB Intel 330 was ment for my former Windows Workstation, which I sold, and replaced with this refurbished MP. Hence I only use it for my CD-compilation and iPhoto/Aperture library.
Please keep in mind these MP´s still cost a minor fortune i Denmark. Bought it from ebay - 11.500 DKR which equals around 2K USD:eek:
So it won´t be replaced this week og the next. As I mentioned in first post, this upgrade should only be for the fun of it.
So far, the machine has fully lived up to my expectations, and I´m very happy with it.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I don´t run Windows on my MP. OS X (ML) from the 256GB Samsung 830, and the 2TB Seagate Barracuda for storage and TM.
The 180GB Intel 330 was ment for my former Windows Workstation, which I sold, and replaced with this refurbished MP. Hence I only use it for my CD-compilation and iPhoto/Aperture library.
Please keep in mind these MP´s still cost a minor fortune i Denmark. Bought it from ebay - 11.500 DKR which equals around 2K USD:eek:
So it won´t be replaced this week og the next. As I mentioned in first post, this upgrade should only be for the fun of it.
So far, the machine has fully lived up to my expectations, and I´m very happy with it.

honestly dude, its not worth it. If you want to do it anyway, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.