Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I am picking up a G-Raid GR42000 (2 tb version) external hard drive, and for the life of me I cant find if I can swap out the internal drives for 2tb drives (4tb total).

I know there are some limitations with the hardware on some drives, but there is a 4tb version (GR4 4000) which is essentially the same drive, but comes with 2-2tb drives.

Are there any issues with swapping out the internal drives? 2tbs are great, but I will be raiding them, so 2tb raided would be nice for speed and redundancy.

thanks!

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
ah.. thanks! you know what I meant.

Still dont have a clue if I can swap the drives.. I'm sure I can. G-Technology would save on costs if they kept the hardware identical, and then just dropped in different drives.

I may have to pick up a single 2 TB drive and plunk it in and see what it does before committing to buying 2 2 tbs..

anyone else know much about these drives?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I know people have done it before without problems. Then again, each generation is different so never a guarantee. They use Hitachi Ultrastars though, I wouldn't put regular drives in there and expect the same level of reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.