Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:58 AM   #1
JuicyPoloMan
macrumors newbie

Is My "Genuine Smart Case A Fake?? Please Help...

Hi all,

I'm in need of a bit of help here... So I recently bought a iPad smart Case from eBay claiming to be "Genuine". When it came through the post it looked like a genuine box, I was expecting the smart case to be Leather on the top with the same colour on the underneath... If that makes sense? that's what a Genuine one looks like right?

I have been searching through the internet and have a question... Before Apple started making the Leather iPad smart cases did they make ones that where not leather?

On the smart case that I received its blue on top but grey underneath... Is that a old "Genuine" smart case? or a fake...

I hope all this makes sense and someone can help me...

Thanks
Jack
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:13 AM   #2
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyPoloMan View Post
Hi all,

I'm in need of a bit of help here... So I recently bought a iPad smart Case from eBay claiming to be "Genuine". When it came through the post it looked like a genuine box, I was expecting the smart case to be Leather on the top with the same colour on the underneath... If that makes sense? that's what a Genuine one looks like right?

I have been searching through the internet and have a question... Before Apple started making the Leather iPad smart cases did they make ones that where not leather?

On the smart case that I received its blue on top but grey underneath... Is that a old "Genuine" smart case? or a fake...

I hope all this makes sense and someone can help me...

Thanks
Jack
Why not take a photo instead of typing so many words?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #3
JuicyPoloMan
macrumors newbie

Yeah... I realised that... But im at work and the case is at home...

Sorry...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:39 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Apple.com sells a Navy smart cover that is leather. The top is leather and Navy and the inside is the same color if not slightly lighter. See their website. The lining is microfiber, just as the non-leather smart covers.

If you have a light blue smart cover that is leather then it is not genuine as Apple did not manufacture a light blue leather cover as far as I can recall. Additionally, it appears as though all smart covers that are sold today have the same interior and exterior colors. I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
Why not take a photo instead of typing so many words?
Really? Come on man.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

Another "don't go there" for E-bay.

Buy from a genuine retailer, you have recourse if things go wrong.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post

Not true. I've bought things from eBay quite a bit and had recourse if the item wasn't as described.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 AM   #7
JuicyPoloMan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Apple.com sells a Navy smart cover that is leather. The top is leather and Navy and the inside is the same color if not slightly lighter. See their website. The lining is microfiber, just as the non-leather smart covers.

If you have a light blue smart cover that is leather then it is not genuine as Apple did not manufacture a light blue leather cover as far as I can recall. Additionally, it appears as though all smart covers that are sold today have the same interior and exterior colors. I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.

Really? Come on man.
The smart cover I got is Light Blue... but it is not Leather... Some other material. Just wondering if apple ever made these items in any other meterials apart from leather...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:11 AM   #8
DarkAether
macrumors regular

Quote:
The smart cover I got is Light Blue... but it is not Leather... Some other material. Just wondering if apple ever made these items in any other meterials apart from leather...
Apple clearly describes the materials used in the Smart Cover in their product description on their website.
DarkAether is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Yes, leather and something other than leather. They're still available on Apple's website. If you have a blue/gray one though that doesn't sound right.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:07 AM   #10
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

When Apple first introduced the smart covers for the iPad 2, there was a light blue color (polyurethane) that had a grey liner. I think Apple changed the inside colors when the iPad 3 was introduced. Here maybe this will help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...x=2&isremote=0
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Hls811
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Hls811 Send a message via Yahoo to Hls811
Flip open the cover, the genuine Apple covers say "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China" along the magnetic edge, embossed in the microfiber.

Do you have the link to the ad? I bought one from ebay knowing it was a knock-off but marketed as genuine - it was also $10 at the time and aside from the words I couldn't tell the difference at all.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
glen e
macrumors 68030

Does it work?

Does it look good?

Does it sleep/wake?

If so, why the heck do you care?

#firstworldproblems.......
glen e is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.dstasio View Post
When Apple first introduced the smart covers for the iPad 2, there was a light blue color (polyurethane) that had a grey liner. I think Apple changed the inside colors when the iPad 3 was introduced. Here maybe this will help:

Ah! Good looking out! Maybe the OP is fine after all.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #14
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I have an orange smart cover that is gray inside. It was said to be "real" and even has the proper markings, but because Apple doesn't sell orange I am unsure whether the inside was supposed to be gray.
I did some digging, just for my own curiosity... They did away with the orange smart covers at the same time that they changed the lining color. I had forgotten about the orange smart covers. Apple should have kept those, IMO.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/24/apple-...-fiber-lining/
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:21 AM   #15
JuicyPoloMan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.dstasio View Post

Ah thank you so much!! Ill check properly when i get home. Big big help.

Thanks Everyone
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:47 PM   #16
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:

Another "fear trumps all".
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Apple released the leather and poly smart cases at the same time. As I recall, round one of the leather ones did all have a light grey lining so yes the one you got might be legit.

A question to answer is what shade of blue. The leathers are all deeply saturated colors -- cream, tan, red, navy (that looks almost black) and black. The poly were bright day glow type shades -- light blue, orange (for a time), pink, light green etc.

So if you have a leather light blue that's not legit. But if it's a dark dark navy type blue then again, it might be
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Hosei
macrumors member

Smart Covers have changed a lot since they were first released. I've seen the first release and the current release Smart Covers for the iPad and I can say the current ones have a much improved felt liner.
Hosei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:03 PM   #19
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

IIRC, Apple never made a leather Smart Case. Smart Cover, yes. Smart Case, no.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #20
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
IIRC, Apple never made a leather Smart Case. Smart Cover, yes. Smart Case, no.
Yeah that thing would be, what about a good $80-100 ?
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 PM   #21
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Respectively disagree. The handful of times I've been burned for buying a cheapo $5 case has been well worth the hundreds of dollars I have saved in that same span of time shopping on ebay.
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:35 PM   #22
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Respectively disagree. The handful of times I've been burned for buying a cheapo $5 case has been well worth the hundreds of dollars I have saved in that same span of time shopping on ebay.
I agree...I realize a bunch of times I got real trash but then a few come along that are 1/10 the price of "genuine" stuff and it works well. Khomo was a great find, Poetic not so hot...

Last edited by glen e; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories