Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1
OneSon
macrumors newbie

Mouse problems

I'm running Mountain Lion on a 2012 Macbook Air and am having real problems with USB mice.

I have a Logitech MX Revolution and the tracking feels inaccurate and uncontrolled. I have tried Steermouse and this improves thing slightly but it's still terrible compared to in windows. I have purchased a Logitech MX Performance and this is identical. Another cheaper Logitech mouse which is wired is slightly better but still lacks accuracy.

Is this a Logitech issue or are non-apple mice in general like this with Mac OSX?
OneSon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

I tink it's OSX related from the threads I have read here. Using Windows in Parallels would probably fix it.

I'd buy a Magic Mouse.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

I can't speak for Logitech mice directly, but nearly every mouse should "just work" without any drivers in OS X -- as far as basic movement, two buttons and scrolling is concerned.

If you want more functions than that -- 12-buttons, user-configurable options, etc, etc, then you're probably going to have to install some third-party drivers, and these can often be quite poor.

However, some Windows switchers do claim that there is a major issue with the way the pointer moves in OS X (lag? acceleration?) -- though many OS X users are oblivious to it. I've never noticed any trouble with it, though I've been using Macs for twenty years. But I don't think that's what you are describing, as you are getting different results with different mice.

Have you installed any drivers? Try uninstalling them, or making sure they are up-to-date.

Have you tried the Apple Magic TrackPad? I much prefer it to any mouse, and it's clear that OS X is moving more towards that kind of touch-sensitive panel as an input device, e.g. gestures and all. I generally recommend it as a much better way to control input than a mouse.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion